1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

L-88 engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. chevy

chevy Member

Does anyone know what size a L-88 is and what they came in?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

it is the 427 Cu in. Chevy big block,I think it 425hp,as installed in the corvette,it was used from 1967-1969.The motor was put in Camaro's,Corvettes,and a few Chevelles by lenco,as far as i know.

3. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

John has it almost 100% correct. The only thing he was incorrect about was that the L-88 wasn't installed by Lenco (the transmission/driveline company), but was installed by Chevrolet dealers such as Yenko (probably who you were thinking about), Dick Harrell and Baldwin-Motion.

Yenko also installed them in Novas, in addition to the others John mentioned. These vehicles prepared by Yenko often had special interiors also installed in them, and it was common to see "Y S C" embroidered on the headrests. YSC stands for "Yenko Super Car."

Now why can I remember this stuff, but I have no clue when my girlfriend's birthday is?

DJS

4. BigBlock454

BigBlock454 Junior Member
    from Jersey

The L-88 was produced and installed in the vehicles above. They were made from 67-69. But they had a rating of 435 horsepower and had aluminum heads. The ZL-1 version had aluminum blocks and heads.

5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

L-88

Had 1 in a 72 Jeep CJ-5 that raced at Tri- county 4x4 club back in 1975. :D Their was a guy that had a 426 hemi & another that had a 454 with nitro (back then you had a switch to turn on & off the gas, no computers just prayers) all in Jeeps.:D

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I thought only the tri power 427 ,(L89?)in the vettes had the 435hp,and the all aluminum ZL1.I was pretty sure thr L88 was 425hp.I havent read any of my old mags,to keep fresh on this stuff,so im slipping a little,LOL.I used to know every RPO,for 99% of GM.s