1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

L 8000 plow/sander

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cat320, Jul 20, 2003.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I saw that today also cat,wonder what the reserve is on it?I see he has 15 bids already.Would make a serious plow rig though and fairly affordable.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The 3208 Cat is not a real dependable motor and is usually considered a throw away. We had them in trucks at the Fire Dept. and in yard switchers where I worked. The fire trucks needed servicing often and the yard switchers needed replacing almost annually.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe it's not such a good deal:p That's interesting about that motor,Cat usually makes pretty bullet proof stuff.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The 3208 was cheap and mass produced. Naturally aspirated it was gutless and smoked like crazy! Towards the end of the production term, they added a turbo which woke it up a bit, but it still was a poor choice for trucks.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pelican is right,that particular Cat motor wasn't the best.A lot of guys would try to turn them up to get more power,and they tend to self destruct.

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

It looks like a strong plow truck which is great for plowing roads and bigger lots. It would also be a great truck to have in the summer, spring, and fall for hauling material.:)

8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

It wouldnt be that great the 3208 shouldnt even be considered an engine,and the 35,000 gvw you will need a driver with a cdl and for the price of registration and insurence its just as cheap to run a tri axle or tandem.

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Looks like a power angle setup. Look at those hydro lines hanging down in the second pic of the series.

Jay

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Now that's a clean truck.Nice engine too :D

The 12K front axle would be a little weak for a big road plow.

12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Nice truck all around. Its missing something now lets see, i got it a 12ft frink!:D

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

14. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That sure looks like a Bedford Hills truck from Westchester County. If so, they take pretty good care of their equipment. I used to work close by and always watched for them to go to bid. Never got one, they always bring pretty high prices.

16. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Pelican i know a lot of the guys from the TOWN OF BEDFORD highway department. Their equipment is very well taken care of. My father is goods friends with a mechanic their and a few drivers and they are very carefull with the trucks. They use all frink snowplows on their F-800 fords. Im not sure that truck is thiers but its a possiblity. since it is 1988 its kinda new for them to sell

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Jay with out the plow blade and not knowing if the sander works from the pics it looks like a clean central hydraulic truck with a hydraulic sander.I don't think that it would that bad to get online for the winter.