1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

kubota with boss 9'2 v blade. too light?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by southern plower, Nov 6, 2012.

1. southern plower

southern plower Junior Member
    from NC

I have a new contract and need to place a piece of equipment on site there all season. this site is in the foot hills or NC and typically only gets 2 or 3 4"+ snows per season and rarely anything over 6-8". mostly spread ice melt or brine it something big is definite.

This new contract is over 30 miles away from our office and getting one of my main trucks there in a pinch is not cost effective ( sometimes in a storm it takes 1.5-2 hours to get there)

We have a spare kubota 4610 cab tractor w/o loader and an old boss 9'2" power v plow. I was thinking of fabbing an undercarriage for the tractor to support the plow just like on one of our f-350s, but my question is is the tractor too light to push a 9' plow? multiple passes are ok since ill have a driver dedicated to that location 100% of the time
    the location has 8 acres of parking lot and 1.5 miles of driveway and since most people here cant drive in the snow the lots must be clean about every 8 hours for their shift change

tractor 3800-4000 lb with driver
    46 Hp

plow 9'2" 850 lb ish

ill also have a 400 lb spreader on back

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

You want to do 8 acres with just one 9' plow? And with a tractor that weighs less then a half ton truck?

I think you should be looking for something bigger with a push box. IMO

3. southern plower

southern plower Junior Member
    from NC

right in a perfect world id love to put something big up there, but its not so perfect here. I also misspoke about the lot, its 7.5 acres and i only have to keep half of it clear at any given time. and like i said my driver is going to be there regardless if he clears it in 1 hour or 7 hours he gets paid the same.

ive never pushed with anything less than a f 350, which ours outfitted, come in at about 8500 lb 325-350 hp depending on year

and im comparing it to 4000lb 46 hp

my question still remains.
    has anyone had experiance pushing flat lots with a compact tractor? is it that crazy that i shouldnt even consider it?

4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

It's not crazy. I've used a Kubota multiple times with a 10' boss attached to the loader. I'm not exactly sure but it was in the 40-50hp range. Cab, heat, etc.. It also had a blower on the back so that did add some weight, but overall it is still very light. But it will definitely move some snow

5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Since its a V, you can always carry smaller bites. With any type of V or box other than the first pass you can always choose to push smaller amounts. Its just more efficient to push the max snow.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd think it would be fine. That plow will fill up before you run out of traction. I'd think about wings.

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You should consider filling the tires to add more weight.

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

"and like i said my driver is going to be there regardless if he clears it in 1 hour or 7 hours he gets paid the same. "

this is the problem as i see it....the operator will beat up the machine to get it done in the shortest time