1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kubota RTV plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MMike, Dec 9, 2007.

1. MMike

MMike Junior Member

I switched jobs recently and suddenly have snow removal responsibility at my regular day job which is a rather large public entertainment facility.

I just spent 8 hours on a Kubota RTV, it's a diesel 4x4 with an enclosed heated cab and a 4' plow. After driving 4x4 trucks with 7 1/2 blades, switching down to this nimble little vehicle was quite an experience. ( fun as hell)

I don't know if anyone has ever considered purchasing something like this, but I thought I'd post my 2 cents.

It was fast and fun and got into some really tight little nooks and crannies, it's obviously a multipurpose vehicle and not designed to be a bad ass for any one purpose including snow removal. the controls are very clumsy and it lacks power. It was nice to have that dump bed to carry brooms and shovels I could jump out and do quick detail work and I also humped the gas cans for the snowblower guys.The heat rocked in 32 degree weather I had the windows open ( unzipped) most of the time.

Shifting this vehicle from forward to reverse is not easy I slipped out of gear many times, I was grinding gears a lot and fear that serious damage will result over the long term. A joystick to control blade would be awesome and I felt limited on visibility when backing ( no mirrors) I "bumped" a few things. I pushed snow okay in 3" wet conditions, but could not stack piles very well I managed to tuck piles on corners by ramming them into position.

I did make 1 pass onto a decorative brick walkway, I eeeeked the blade off the ground slightly to minimize actual contact and did no apparent damage, it's a light weight blade, I'll take another look at that area when it drys to look for damage. I'd love a rubber edge for this purpose.

Anyway it was fun. Overall it performed okay. I even did some back dragging at the end of the day.

Mike, Indianapolis