1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kubota M6040.... 11' plow too much??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 2, 2013.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Got a 2008 Kubota M6040 that I'm looking to put into plowing service this year.

Putting R1 Ag tires on, will fill them with Rim Guard.

Tractor / OEM cab on Kubota's site is 5445 lbs, with the Rim Guard that will add another 1500 lbs.

I'll be about 7000 lbs.

Just running a straight plow. Have a local school district, largest parking lot is about 3.5 acres.

I can wing to 2 sides, and then stack at a later date.

Do I need to drop down to a 9' or 10'?
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I would go with a 10'. You will be much happier loosing 1' of effiecency over spinning wheels all day.

I own several M7040 tractors now, and am very familiar with their capabilities. Not exactly sure how the 6040 specs compare to it, but they can't be too far off. I have run 10' pro-tech pushers on them for years in the past, and they handle fine. Wheels will spin on that heavy, wet snow, but its not unmanageable.

I also ran a 9' plow on loader arms on an m7040, and it did OK. Turning was always an issue with a lot of snow, but it was also not unmanageable with the use of left and right brakes. However, I can surely say I would not have wanted a 11' on there. I think the difference would have tipped the scale of being manageable.

If I were to do it all over again, I would get a direct frame mount set up instead of a loader. Something like a Shoule or Metal Pleiss plow.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just so I get this straight Collin, your saying that you can run a 10ft pusher and not an 11ft blade on your loaders?
  4. LwnmwrMan22

I know where you're going JD.
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well, first of all I'd really prefer not to run either on the loader arms because one of the guys already bent one set of them. But its what I have, so its what we use.

I found that the width of the 9' blade on the loader would sometimes steer the tractor, instead of the tractor having complete control over the blade. This would only happen in either heavy/wet snow, or large accumulations. Conversely, I don't feel the same about the 10' pusher. I think the reason for this is that a) it is much closer to the tractor. The skid steer style mounts are right on the back on the moldboard. b) it does not angle, which is what pushes the tractor side to side in the right conditions. The plow sits an extra several feet farther away from the tractor due to the angling mechanism and rigging behind the mold board. My plow is made so it is not floating, unless the loader is floating. Instead of a chain, there is a fixed/welded bar to hold the blade. If I built it all over again, I would do the chain hanging style to keep more weight (of the loader arms) on the front tires.

So with all that said, I just know what a 9' blade feels like on a slightly larger machine and I can say that I personally would not put an 11' blade on it.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

I agree with the thought of the box being closer to the loader arms. I'm leaning to a box for the tractor.