1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kubota M5040

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by EliteSnow&Ice, Dec 27, 2013.

1. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I am looking at replacing a truck with this machine, it has a blizzard 8611 and a 8' rear blade with 2' wings on each side for a total of 12'. Most of what we do are storage units, small commercial lots and churches. Largest lot is 5 acres and the longest run is 500'. most everything i plow is within a 8 mile radius. this will be my first tractor. Is this machine comparable to a truck with an 810 and the same back blade? Weight is close with a truck weighing 500# more. the tires on the tractor are not loaded.

2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

It might be a bit underpowered. Our 5083 JD is underpowered at times. It will do Ok on the smaller lots but may struggle on the long runs on the bigger lots. Price is right though. :)

3. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Herm. The only other question I got is the hydralics/ transmision work. Someone else said that system is bad and should look at a john deere.!he did go into detail why the John's deere system is better, any thoughts to that.

4. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

The 5040 will push a 8611 just fine, need some weight on the back for counterbalance. The kubotas are decent machines I much prefer a JD but if the price is right on the Kubota and its in good shape it will get the job done just fine.

5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Sorry, my answer would only be speculative. Talk to the previous owner. I will PM you his name.