1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kubota M108

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Vettel, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Vettel

Vettel Junior Member

Hi, I recently purchased a Kubota M108 , however I am not sure if the clutch is required when shifting to F or R from a complete stop. I have spoken to the dealer and some people said to use it or that they preferred using it and some said you don't need to use it and it won't damage the clutch. I was told the purpose of the shuttle shift is to help preserve the clutch and make it easier to operate. Thought I would ask here in hopes that people who operate the machine or its similar variants could clear this up for me.

Thanks.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a M128 and I rarely use the clutch when going from forward to reverse. I definitely use it when first going into motion but from there it's pretty much back and forth with the lever.

Keep in mind, you need to be smart about it. Just like with a pickup truck, you want to be stopped or close to it when you change directions. I *think* there's a built in safety so that you can't slam it into reverse when you're going say 10mph forward but don't quote me on that.

3. Vettel

Vettel Junior Member

In the manual it says to be under 6.8 mph to change direction. I am mostly unclear if the clutch is required when first going into motion. It's probably better to use it when first going into motion, however I have been told its not required and shouldn't damage the clutch, which is what i am trying to avoid.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No, you don't have to use it for F to R. And you wouldn't be damaging the clutch, you would be damaging the gears.

ClawM likes this.
  5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Have you pushed with it yet? We just got a m108 with loader... just picked up the box today

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen this question asked a few times so I decided to do some reading. Here's what I think is the best response that I found on another forum:

All shuttle shift means is you have a F-N-R shifter, usually at the left side of the seat or on the steering column that is separate from the transmission speed and range shifters. If you have to come to a complete stop to shift from forward to reverse, using the clutch, you have "non-synchro" shuttle and a dry clutch.

If you can shuttle shift between forward and reverse without grinding the gears while the tractor is moving, but still need to use the clutch, you have "synchro-shuttle" Kioti DK65, DK90 etc. among others - still with a single plate dry clutch.

A "hydraulic shuttle", "Power Shuttle", "Power Reverser" is combined with a multi-plate wet clutch and does the clutching electro-hydraulically, whether you push the foot clutch or flip the stalk on the steering column.

So Vettle you'll need to find out what type of shuttle shift system you have. I just looked and my M128 has a hydraulic shuttle so that's why I don't need to use the clutch very often. Mark might have a different setup and that's why his answer differed from mine. (Mark, I actually found an old conversation between us from 4 years ago where we discussed this before and our answers were the same back then lol)

My go-to source for tractor information is JD Dave but there are several other very knowledgeable members on this site who know a lot about ag tractors as well. Maybe one of them will expand on what's been posted so far...

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Camdens method is bang on. To be honest though I generally use the clutch as that's the way I have always done it. I also find when push snow over curbs or stacking you need to use clutch or else it's way to hard on equipment. To each his own.

ClawM likes this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Dave does know tractors and how to make babies, that's for sure.

I'm not sure where my advice differed from yours in this thread.

I was on my phone, so I didn't answer more in depth. I find myself clutching most of the time while shifting, strictly out of habit. I have to actually make myself not clutch if I don't want to.

But still, you don't have to, especially if your manual says under 6.8, which seems awfully fast to me.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can actually shift into reverse in a Case going 20 mph without using the clutch. Saw a guy do it at a demo day. Tractor never missed a beat. I never go over 6 mph plowing so it works perfect.

10. Mark Oomkes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

20MPH would be a hell of a ride depending on how aggressive the reverser is set up.

6MPH...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

So what exactly happened when he did that? The tractor must've slowed way down until it was safe to shift?

13. Hysert

Glad you chimed in Dave!! Ours is going on site this weekend for the winter

14. Vettel

Vettel Junior Member

Thanks for the great advice guys.

15. Hysert

Hey Vettel... have you ran ur M108 yet? We ran ours for almost 8hrs, 2" of wet ice pellets running a 12 foot pusher, used just under a 1/4 tank of fuel! Seems really good to me. Operator used foot throttle.

Oh and is Vettel bc ur a F1 fan???

16. TLSIMMONS

TLSIMMONS Member

Hello Hysert,really interested in your feedback on the M108 .i bought a new one back in May that my dealer had two left over in the back of his shop.I dropped it off last week to the dealer and they are installing a Metal pless 8-14 liveedge and a 92 Normand for me.

17. Hysert

Hey. Not much to say on feed back, it was are first push with it! Ours has a loader so I put a box on it, as most say a wing blade will most likely bend the arms??? All I know is it seems to sip fuel!! As for Kubota in general I've owned over 7 different units from zeros to mini backhoes and there track loader! Never a single mechanical issue ever, oil and grease.. I pound them all and they ask for more... at this point I wouldnt even look at any other colour!!! Goodluck with yours the blade you are mounting is supposed to be 1 of the best!!!

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The tractor slowed right down to a stop and started going forward. I don't think it was hard on it at all. I was very impressed, still wouldn't do it to our stuff. LOL

19. TLSIMMONS

TLSIMMONS Member

Thanks for the response Hysert,I had the 9540 and traded it for the 108. I was very pleased with the 9540, just wanted a little more weight and power. I'm kinda partial to the kubotas myself,but most important is my dealer support. If I have a problem they will put me in another unit to get me through.

20. Vettel

Vettel Junior Member

Yes, I used it for the first time early last week. We ran it for just over 7 hours and used slightly over 1/4 tank, but it travels on the road for a bit. We pushed about 5-8 cm of snow that got rained on shortly after heading out. It did seem to struggle on some longer pushes in box, i'm running a 10-16 metalpless and it has a weight box on the back of 3-point hitch. It was my first time plowing with a tractor and wing plow.

and yes vettel is because i'm an F1 fan. Hopefully next year Ferrari can challenge Mercedes.