1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kubota BX series

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Lawn Enforcer, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to go another direction for my residential snow accounts next year. My Dodge with the 8.5' blade just isn't the right thing for the driveways I do. I would love to get a skid steer, but I just don't have the type of work to keep it busy all year round and I hate having equipment just sitting and not making me money. I can use the tractor for mowing, spraying, and other light landscape work that I do. I've been looking into the Kubota BX series of tractors and have heard great things about them, but I just would like to hear some more about how much snow these things can move, whether it be a snowblower or loader, any feedback would be great.

Here is a pic of some of the snow I've had to deal with this year, so just to give you a small idea about the loads of snow we get.

SNOW REMOVAL 210 019 (Custom).jpg

2. Lawn Enforcer

Another view of some of the deep drifting that I deal with.

SNOW REMOVAL 210 017 (Custom).jpg

3. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

I had a BX for years with a front blower and it worked great. especially in deep snow the blower kicked butt and made for a nice clean job.

I sold the BX to a buddy and kept the blower to put on my new Massy GC which is also doing great.

My buddy got a blade for the BX and I was skeptical because I had tried to push snow with the bucket before and it was not effective, but, I had the chance to use it the other day and was blown away at how well it worked with the blade. It was night and day. It made quick work of some heavy snow we had. He's only got the light duty 48" blade but if you throw a 60" heavy with hydraulic angle you do a good business on small residentials. Loaded turf tires are the best in the snow and if you tack a blower on the back you'd have a killer combo.

4. Lawn Enforcer

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear it did well in deep snow, I had to deal with some very large windrows after a big storm we had last December and my truck didn't handle it very well.

5. Lawn Enforcer

Anyone have more suggestions on tires?

6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Hey Lawn, A bunch of us run Kubotas down here in Rochester, A friend of mine does driveways with a bx2350, front blower, box blade on the three point, does a great job. A little small for my work, but I don't think you'll be disapointed if you don't mind hauling it around town.

7. Lawn Enforcer

Good to hear. All my accounts are pretty close together so trailering around won't be needed very much. Do they make quick work of driveways?

8. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Kubota makes a good product. I have an old bullet proof B7100 which I love. But I find some of the ergonomics of the newer BX series a little odd. Not sure I like the big rocker pedal for the travel. But I suppose you could get used to it. I have at times considered the smallest Bobcat compact tractor, CT122. It is quite a bit larger than the BX and you can get a loader with skid steer style quick tach feature but the price can be about the same or less than the BX with loader when they have incentive programs.

9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

for that much snow you might want to go with a larger series of tractor. The bx would do good work but it has its limitations on stacking height! You wont go wrong with a Kubota!

here is a photo of mine day one, it currently has around 1200hrs:
    [​IMG]

mowing setup:
    [​IMG]

Ian

10. Lawn Enforcer

I also looked at and priced a CT122, which is nice, but I'm looking to get a used machine to start with since I can't justify a new one yet, and there are no used Bobcat tractors around. I plan on using the tractor for mowing, spraying larger yards, and some light landscaping on top of snow removal, and the BX seems nice and light to take on these jobs.

11. Lawn Enforcer

Nice tractor! I would go with a larger tractor, but I'm going with the BX series so I can use it for other jobs on the smaller properties I do. I am leaning towards the blower at this point, so stacking isn't a big concern for me. I also have a guy with a big CAT skid steer that can come and stack snow for me if needed.

12. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Thanks! you wont wrong with a BX series, the BX24 has a design flaw with the hyd trans cooling fan... it is plastic and has no protection, Im on my 2nd one and think I just broke another one yesterday moving brush :eek: I use the BX in the winter for sidewalks and moving piles and it works out great! one tip would be to make a bolt on cutting edge for the bucket if you choose to do so.

Thumbs Up

13. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have 2 BXs- a 2200 from year 2000 and a 2660 from 2009. Both run the 2750 front blowers in winter.
    Both are excellent snow weapons!

I run turfs with chains on the rear and do switch to bar tires on the front for winter.

Lift height and bucket width are the only limitations for the FEL.

14. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

what about a rear mount blower that way you can keep the loader on if there happens to be a spot that the blower isnt effective on that or if there is an ice storm and you pick up other work

15. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Some run up to a 60" blower on the rear.

The power is there. The issue is weight on the back of the tractor. You will run out of traction first!

Personally, if I were buying a rear blower, I would look for a 54"

16. Lawn Enforcer

Thanks for the heads up, I was also going to ask about the bolt on cutting edge, but you answered my question already. Thanks again!

17. Lawn Enforcer

Do you recommend any certain brands of blowers besides the Kubota one?

18. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I like the backhoe + loader. Great for lawn work without destroying the lawn like a skid steer does.

You may already know, but there are aftermarket skid plates available to protect the fan like you mentioned. Not sure if this effects cooling.

http://www.bro-tek.biz/

Here's another site for aftermarket BX accessories:
    http://www.bxpanded.com/

19. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I understand. The BX would probably be more practical as a mower than the Bobcat. Also the Bobcat may be a little heavy for mowing, at near 2k lbs. Kubota's prices do seem to be a little high. The problem is the used ones I see are either beat or they are asking near new price anyway. Kubota almost always has 0% interest programs.

Many of the Kubota dealers here are also Bobcat dealers. However, they don't seem to every stock the small CT122. I think because there is more profit in the orange.

20. Lawn Enforcer

I thought the CT122 seemed a lot bigger than the BX series. I looked at a BX 2360 today with a loader and 60" mower, seemed like a solid machine for sure. I hopped on and it seemed very comfortable.