1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kodiak

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by peteo1, Feb 24, 2015.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Hope this is the right spot...

Looking at a 92 Kodiak dump truck. 90k on the meter, 33k gvw, automatic transmission and a 366 under the hood. Looking for some input from some of you guys who've owned these trucks. The rig would mainly be used for hauling our skid and dirt, stone, etc in the summer and winter would mainly be either a salt truck or snow removal truck. I'm a little hesitant because of the engine as I think it would be underpowered. What are your thoughts?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Had a 1980 c70 with the 366. Used it for the same tasks. They are cheap to own and operate. How frequent will it be doing these things and whats your terrain like

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Engine is kinda a dog.

4. peteo1

Not every day but often enough. The terrain here is mostly flat in town. Out in the county it can get pretty hilly but we tend to stay in town more often than not and we don't seem to do a lot of highway driving either.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Back when I used to work for my grandpa, he had an early 90's Kodiak w/366 & 10speed. Not a bad rig, little underpowered when really loaded down, but again not terrible if terrain is mostly flat....the 10spd made it tolerable. Eventually moved to a Cat motor w/6spd in the same style truck(c7500), and wished he'd done it sooner. But from what your describing, it sounds as though your not asking as much out of it, as he did.

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you know the current owner well enough that you can take it for a ride loaded? I'd be concerned with how much power the auto tranny eats up when you get near 33K.

We had an older truck about that size with a 427 with a 4 speed and split rear end. Wasn't great loaded, you certainly didn't want to botch a shift......

7. procut

procut Senior Member

You certainly won't win any races, but you will get it done; just plan your route around gas stations.

8. 82k10ny

82k10ny Junior Member
    from latham

my old man had a 88 gmc 7000 427 with a 5 speed split rear end, rated at 26k just enough to be under cdl. he would regularly load it with 2-3 pallets of versa lock block, his 26 foot hudson bros trailer and a new holland 785 skid steer. it was by no means fast, but empty wound out on the highway it would just squeak 65 mph, fully loaded at over that 26k mark, it would hold 60 mph on the same strech of asphalt. truck had plenty of torque to pull more gear in the 10k lbs loaded range. high gear in the rear end just was not there. my old man looked into re gearing to get the truck to 75 mph empty 70 ish when about half loaded. eaton said they would send a field tech out and rebuild the rear end for roughly 6 grand. my dad decided it was cheaper to only go 65 empty.

9. contractor 413

contractor 413 Junior Member

On the flats you will be fine. Tow a 17k excavator with mine. Does the job but slowly.

10. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Hate that Engine.. Swamped ours for a 454.. Truck is a beast

11. peteo1

The more I've been researching I may pass on the 366 and look for either a 454 or a Cat 3116. Hard to pass up the price though

12. alldayrj

How much is it, we bough all of ours for a few thousand and drove them into the scrap yard and left with 1500. Not many things you can do that with. 5 years of service and out a grand? No brainer.

13. peteo1

14. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

That's a 23 year old truck with a gas engine. If it needs nothing major for the next few years, I think the price is top dollar.

To put it into perspective, I bought an '00 Topkick 8500 (just 10 years old at the time) 8500 dump w/ 32k miles, 40k gross, Cat 3126, 11' Flink and a lot of new lines and hoses for $10k.

15. procut

procut Senior Member

I've had several TopKicks and Kodiaks over the years and I'd say that's about what it's worth. Not a killer deal but a fair price. That automatic trans would be my biggest worry, too bad it's not just a straight 5 speed or 5/2. Is it an Allison or is it the GM built 4 speed?

16. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

30k gvw guess you need a cdl to drive it?

17. alldayrj

If the dump box isnt swiss cheese its a fair deal. Anything you can talk him down is a good deal

18. peteo1

I have a class a. I can drive anything but a motorcycle for some odd reason