1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kodiak or 4500 Sounds like a Gas Truck and smells...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gottaluvplows, Dec 29, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Hey i need you guys' help
    Do any of you know that one thing that GM offers on their diesel trucks
    We got one when it came with the truck its awesome!!!!!!!!!!
    We have a Kodiak Diesel engine but you would never know because of this (i think its a recycler of some sort) it makes it so you cant smell the diesel OR Hear it! So it sounds like a Ford F-250 (GAS)

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, its the new emissions equipment. If your the one buying the fuel for it you'll quickly begin to hate it. The new emissions equipment kills mpg.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

x2. The new diesels are cleaner and quieter, but they burn a ton more fuel and lots of people are complaining about tons of downtime due to emissions equipment problems. There's nothing good about it unless you are a tree hugger.

4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

i love the sound of a diesel, thats one of the reasons i dont like the dmax its to quiet..cummins and the ford sound awsome. the louder the better.

5. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

It has the DPF on it, like a few guys have said, it kills your mileage, take it off, and have it tuned with EFI live, even if to just shut off the DPF codes and maybe like a 50hp tow tune you will have a whole new love for your truck.

Show-n-go, loud diesels are a thing of the past, even Ford and Cummins know that thats why the new 6.7 is alot quieter than their prevoius engines, also the 6.4 is quiet too, I can imaginr the new 6.7 will be very quiet too. One of the biggest reasons Cummins and Ford made their motors quiet is because since 01 GM Duramax has been so quiet people love them, I can actually have a conversation right at the front of my truck with screaming. A 24V Cummins to me is just down right annoying.

6. JDiepstra

I'm not argueing that old diesels aren't loud and sometimes smelly, but there is no denying that before all this emissions BS they were much cheaper to buy, got much better fuel mileage, and would run forever with almost no issues.

And yes, old people towing their RV's are happy that they are quieter.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The dmax's are quiet that's for sure. However the new 6.7 Cummins and 6.4 PSD are nearly silent also. My friend has a 6.7 and when it still had the dpf and muffler on it my 98 with cats and dynomax bullets was much louder. I was in my truck with it idling and had to get out and walk the 20' to his truck to tell if his was running or not. Now with a 4" turbo back straight pipe on the 6.7 quiet is a thing of the past. You still don't hear the motor, just the exhaust.

8. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Technology.............................its a wonderful thing!

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Im actually very impressed with the fuel economy my duramax LMM is getting... pretty much 450 km's per 90 some litre tank... thats alright in my books

10. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

Chad - pull the DPF, run a mild tune (to overide the codes) - and you'll see it go to 600 km in mixed driving, 700-750 if you're easy on the go pedal on the highway.

I find mine does best cruising at 130 km/h (around 80 MPH) - which is great getting around 20-22 MPG. Problem is the ticket throws the economics out of wack!

:(

:nono:

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I would like to but right now i think that truck is near perfect the way it is... Im really really digging the no diesel smell at all...

My LMM gets 450/90 litres = 650/120 litres roughly
    My LLY with no muffler and set a tune 3 gets 650-700/120 litres

So the LMM with all the emissions crap is right there... and you dont gag on the exhaust when your beside it LOL

12. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Yeah because we got one and like going in driveways(i didnt think i could do it but i did) you cant even hear it! When i get in the street get up to 70 MPH you can tell its a diesel... I dont think i'll have too many problems with it, we only really use it in the winter...Boss man takes it home sometimes. This will be our second yr with it it only has 15,000 miles on it! Its a regular bed we didnt want a dump takes all the looks away!

13. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I haven't been around enough of the new ones to notice other than the dmax. I guess i won't care for those either then.. lol It would be nice to go through a drive thru to order without turning off my truck. But other than that i like the sound and the smell of my old 7.3.
    It's now that i don't like new trucks, there's just something about that sound. I guess it's like the sound of a 2 stroke dirtbike or quad, you either love it or hate it.

14. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

We have an 06 and an 08 gmc 4500 with the duramax. When the upfitter (Lancaster truck bodies - excellent company) delivered the 06, the first thing I thought was they delivered the wrong truck. I couldn't believe how quiet it was. And that was before all the dpf bullcrap. The 08 we have has the emissions filter on it and we haven't had any problems with it.

15. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Understandable...........................

16. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Bio-diesel would actually be a nice solution to this problem. It burns cleaner, has a built in oxidizer, has almost the same BTU value as D-1 and would cost less if mass produced. You could have your truck running with higher power ratings while being still environmentally friendly. It seems to me that this would solve everyone's issues with running Diesel engines.

17. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...and when you get the truck inspected and they perform the visual part...they will see that the DPF isnt there and then you are SOL and it will fail the test...

18. JDiepstra

I get absolute crap for mileage when running B10. It's like 50 miles less per tank. Or worse.

19. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I've run my truck on B20 blends no drop in fuel mileage, in fact it started easier and ran very well. I wish I could get some more locally. I only get max 10 miles per gallon anyway but it was the same.

20. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Anyone having issues with Bio this winter? Also is it true with Bio you lose HP?