1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kodiak 5500 Set Up

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Patrick34, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

Tonight, I am putting my deposit on a Chevy Kodiak 5500, 4x4. Trying to finalize my set up decision.

I am thinking Western 9 foot pro plus plow, central hydro's, and a western stainless steel under tailgate salt spreader.

I am new to the under tailgate spreader equipment. Is a "replacement" tailgate spreader the same as the "under tailgate" spreader?

Any suggestions.

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Yep, 9' ain't big enough. You will want at least a 10'. If you are going with central hydros, you could go with viking or flink or something else...

If you want electric over hyrdo get a 10' fisher MC or a 10' Boss.... Western doesn't make a truck specific mount for the municipal plows.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is a "replacement" tailgate spreader the same as the "under tailgate" spreader?

NO! A replacement spreader is in place of your tailgate. This will allow the spinner to be higher from the ground. They all have dual auger. If I try another one this will be my choice.

Try this site to see the differences. www.bonnell.com

Have you checked into the cental hydraulics yet. Do you need a clutch pump or do you run it off the engine/transmission?
  4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

You can run it off the tranny but then your flow rates are more rpm dependant. You will probably want to do a clutch pump. Be aware that they are not cheap.

5. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

I did it today, put my deposit on the Chevy 5500, 4x4. Added central hydro's, Monroe under tailgate spreader (stainless steel), and a Western 9.5 foot v-plow. Should be about 3 weeks until I get it.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hope it isn't too late, but I strongly recommend the dual auger under tailgate spreader. Maybe that's what you already ordered.

Howard is correct on the plow width, though. You definitely want to be 'wider'. That's as close as I'll come for now. ;)
  7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I strongly reccommend that you consider a bigger plow. You have a very capable truck on the way, don't limit it with a dinky plow (by big truck standards)
  8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

You need a bigger and heavier plow.We run 9ft fishers on our gas F350 pickups.I think you will tear that v up and not even know it.
  9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

It is not the tearing up. A 10'V barely covers the wheels.
  10. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

Just curious why are people going with kodiak 5500 4x4, it's alot bigger that an F550 4x4 and has almost the same GVW(4x4 that is). The 550 wopuld be easier to drive and manuver. :)
  11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

It is actually easier to drive with better visibility. The 5500 gvw is 2,000lbs higher than a 550. The truck has a 8000lb front axle. Allison transmission RDS.
    It is a downsized medium duty, while the Ford is upsized light duty.
    And it doesn't have a 6.0 powerstroke or a tranny that blows up in the first few thousand miles :jester:
  12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Patrick how much did you pay for the 5500. I am looking into a brand new 4500. I hope to make a move this week. I backed out of the ford deal becuase I didnt like the color or the interior...
  13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have a new gmc 5500 4x4 4dr and ordered a 8611 and put a 11foot aluminum dump on it, but it is not a kodiak i have one of those also the equivelent to a kodiak would be a 6500 and they dont offer it in 4x4 but there is a company in tx and mn that is converting them:bluebounc but the option starts at 15k i hope you do well with a 9 western i just 'bout did it myself and still might if this blizzard doesn't work i think that a 9' will be plenty of plow, you have to remember the thing still has the duramaxipad and the horrid allison
  14. Foz

Foz Senior Member

To clarify some issues:

1. a 9.5 Ft Western Vee is great on the 5500/4500, we have 2-5500, 1-4500, and 1-3500, all with 9.5 Ft Vee plows. We are going into our 4th season with these trucks.

2. Visibility is good out of the 5500, I owned an F-550 before, and I feel that the 5500 is a much more durable truck, hence the reason we have them.

3. A kodiak is not larger than a 5500, Kodiak is the Chevrolet name for medium duty trucks, and the GMC medium duty trucks are Topkicks, all of which are available in 4500, 5500, 6500, 7500, 8500. Factory 4 wheel drive is only available in the 4500 & 5500 trucks. There are a few upfitters that will install 4 x 4 on teh 6500, 7500, and 8500 chassis.
  15. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I would have to agree with a 10' plow. We run a 9' on a 18K lb cabover and it just about covers the rear wheels angled. Your talking a wider wheelbase on a 5500 than on a UD. A 10' on our f700 is just enough to cover the wheelbase. I know a 9.5' is about 8'7" angled, so it would be much less in the V position. :cool: