1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kodiak 4500 5500 4x4 plow truck and salter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by luckylawnboy, Jan 30, 2007.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

Has any one got any of these trucks. I really like them but they seem geared really low. I want to use it for lawn and landscaping in the summer and snow and ice control in the winter. I thought about a regular cab with a 12 foot landscape body. Is my only option for salting a salt box or can i use a tailgate insert. Or is this truck just odd. too big for a pick-up or too small for a dump truck. I have herd reports or these trucks being under powered is that true too. I beleive they weigh around 10,000 12,000lbs depending what body one puts on them. Does any one have any pictures of this truck equiped as i described? Just wanting some advice from experienced owners. I think they look like one hell of a truck .

2. brshhog

brshhog Junior Member

Give me your e-mail and I will send some pics. Took some yesterday, but can't figure out how to size the pic to make them fit on this site yet. Need some training tonight from the wife. I have an 06 C-5500 4x4 quad cab with a BOSS 10' V and love it so far. I use it in the summer to pull my equipment trailer in the mountains of SW Colorado. 23,500 loaded (just trailer and equipment) and I love it. I was pulling with a Dodge w/ Cummins and it did the job, but didn't have the stopping power or the feeling of overall safety that this truck has. I love my C-5500!
    Some have had major problems with this truck, but I have only had a few minor. It seems to be a crap shoot with this truck. Check out
    www.dieselplace.com
    and go to the Medium duty site, My sig is Brshhog. I do have some pics there.
    Most of these have 5:13 gearing w/4 wheel drive, thats about 2600 @ 70MPH but it works, its a work truck after all. Mine weighs 9400 cab and chassis.
    DOUG
    brshhog@centurytel.net

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  3. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I did someserious shopping before I bought both my F550s. I really wanted a Chevy 5500. It seem the Chevys are built better than the Fords but you pay for the quality at the scales. The chevys are a bit heavier which equal less payload. My 550 dump is a steel 11 footer with 16" sides and 4x4 with a diesel and auto. It weighs 10,560 with a full tank of fuel. The truck is legal to 17,500. 3.5 tons is not a very big payload if your using it as a dump. My other 550 is a flatbed- no dump and its rated to 19K. A little better but still not a big legal payload for stone, dirt, etc. The deciding factor for me was the 10K difference in price between Ford and Chevy. My flatbed F550 I ordered and it was still 10K cheaper than an off the lot Chevy 5500. The 06 fords turn much sharper than the chevys since ford went to front coils. Chevys have much better front visibility. I also ordered my flatbed with the h.d towing upgrade. It's a double frame on about half of the truck that increases my combined tow capacity to 33K from fords standard 26K. Chevy would only go to 26K which was too low for my needs. Happy truck shopping:)

4. KHB

KHB Member

I've had no problems with my truck. I have a Fisher 9'MC and a 3 yard SS Ice -O-Way sander. Mine has the landscape dump body. Yes, its geared low. Mine has 5.13 gears. I've had mine loaded with 10' X 48"+ logs. Hauling is no problem. I have pics also PM me your email and i'll send you some pics.

5. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

Do you guys hop in these trucks and run to town or are they strickly loaded or working miles. Are they feasable for that.

6. KHB

KHB Member

I do. I don't drive around all day like i would a car but i wouldn't hesitate taking it anywhere. grocery store, mall, lunch. etc. The turning radius is pretty good but its no Geo so some of the parking lots may be tight.

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

(2) 2004 4500's one desiel, one gas the gas has the 12' box both work GREAT only 2wd but plow good

superior lawn2 005.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  8. Superior L & L

from MI

Opps forgot the other truck

superior lawn 010.jpg

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

10. JOEC

JOEC Member

Do you have any problems with your lights on your gas engine. Anyone who drives my gas 4500 complains about the lights not bright enough. When I took it back to the dealer mechanic agreed theres a problem but the dealer gave up on trying to fix it. I just gave up with chevy at that point. I have a friend who has the diesal and it seems that all the problems that I get in my truck he has the same problems brakes, rotors, etc. Chevy made a big mistake getting rid of the 3500 hd great truck. Bring that truck back to production only had minor problems with the hd 3500 but the 4500 never would buy another one. STAY AWAY FROM US MAINTENANCE !!!!!!!!!:gunsfiring:

11. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

What salt spreader do you prefer. and how do they compare as far as price goes. I want to get a landscape body like the monroe or ABC then get a spreader insert. or should I just get a v-box. Also I only run bagged salt now, how do you handle bulk salt as far as storage or is there a place to get it from a supplier that open during the storm ect.

12. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

my buddy has got an 03 chevy 4500 2wd, and loves it, i drove it a few times my self and thought it was great, hes got the d-max/allison with a 10ft dump on it and the turning radius is great, even though its 2wd it does real good in the snow with a good set of rubber, he runs a 6 yard Monroe spreader and a 9ft Fisher MC. The spreader is huge, but the plow i think is way to small, it barely clears the truck with the blade angled straight, if it was mine i would probably run a 10ft MC but thats probably to heavy for a 4500, but i don't think hes to worried about the DOT when hes got the sander loaded with 6yrds of sand and a plow, however at 37,000 miles he did just have to replace the hole entire rear end and GM did not cover the $4,500 bucks it cost

13. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

brshhog can you send me pics of your set up i have been thanking about a 5500 forcerecon0@yahoo.com thanks

14. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That thing is far overloaded as it is with 6 yards in the back, I don't thing he needs a bigger blade. The 9' MC weighs enough.

15. Superior L & L

from MI

I had some problems with our diesel 4500. Had all the lifters replaced about 6 months ago. Then three weeks ago it would show it was going 85 miles per hour and we were doing 30. Turns out when the GM dealer sent it out to get upfitted the upfitter did not know what he was doing cos he ran the plow harness though the wheel well(punched hole though it) So when we drove down the road the salt water was getting into the engine and corroding all the connectors. It fried the PCM, all wiring had to be replaced, instrument cluster. The dealer got the PCM covered under emission's warrentybut it still cost us $4000 to pull it out the dealers lot. Now we are fighting with GM. I say they hired the upfitter so it there problem they say its the upfitters deal. We bought the whole thing brand new off the lot with plow and dump box so its there deal. We have 10 GM trucks and there pulling this sh--.The real problem for us was not having the truck for two weeks in the busyest month of winter !

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  16. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

I highly doubt a 9 foot plow is overloading a plow. We looked at two new trucks today both had a 10 foot Boss V-Blades. they had regular dump bodies and we are looking for a red truck with a black landscape body. I thought he told me they had 8000 lbs front axel

17. KHB

KHB Member

When I looking for plows 2 out of 3 Fisher dealers told me that they don't recomend the 10MC on my 5500. So i went for the 9MC. And you are correct on the front axle.

18. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

Im not sure about fisher, You dont see them around here, they must be heavier than the Boss plows, but who knows. The plows looked like were matched nice for the trucks. I drove one and it was nice...Just deciding if its over kill for me. But you know how us Snow/Lawn guys are. Bigger the better right!!

19. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

there is over a 300lb difference from the Boss 10' V-Blade and a 10MC.. thats alot. well boss weight is minus the mount sothe web said 1105lb + mounting brackets 130LBS

20. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

I just noticed something. The Fisher plow are similiar to western plows. and Blizzard, Western, and Fisher are all the same company Douglas Dynamics, L.L.C.. Am I the only person who did not know all these plows were part of the same company.