1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Known Problems w/ Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PreFabber, Nov 17, 2002.

1. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Hi everyone, I have been viewing your site for over a year now and have finally registered cause i have a ? and respect all of your opinions and expertise. I have researched and decided to buy a Boss plow for my truck. When I looked under the "Support & Announcements" forum I found that some of you have had problems with the Boss plows. I couldn't find any specific details and was wondering exactly what the were. Hopefully you can help me out. Thanks.
  2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I know of two problems that have arisen...

With the V plow, the mold board tends to "rip" after a couple years of plowing, at the hinge pivot pin that runs down the center. The tear begins at the bottom where each side "hinge" comes together. We've had to grind out the split and reweld it solid. Not difficult, but wouldn't want to miss it and have the tear get large enough to cause a problem.

Second problem we have experienced is that the hydraulic hoses to the angle cylinders can get caught in the return springs and get "pinched", creating a failure point. I will say it is the ONLY hydraulic line failure we have ever experienced on our Boss plows (and we have about a dozen V plows). The hydralic hoses are oversized as are the hydraulic fittings, which is great (as compared to Meyers lines that fail rather regularly). To stop the pinching from occurring we have used a plastic Tie and tied the two lines together just under the lift cylinder, and have never had the problem arise again after doing that......

Nice plows, I will say....
  3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Had 2 and never had a problem...

1- 8'2" V with steel edge
    1- 9'2" V with urethane
  4. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to be getting straight blade, but will keep an eye for any tearing at all stress points. Good tip for the hoses John, I will definately tie them together cause it's an easy preventive maintenance thing. ceaman, you're right about the hydraulic setup, nice and heavy duty, i was very impressed when i first looked at them. Thanks again guys.
  5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

The two problems I allueded to above were on V blades only. Never heard of any problems with the straight blades, and the two straights we have (Boss) have never developed any operational problems in 5 years.
  6. bgrover

bgrover Member

There was an issue last year (?) maybe the year before as well with the SmartHitch-2. There were 2 pins that held the on/off lever and hitch pin assembly together. These pins would break after usage. Boss came out with a fix and retro-fitted all of the plows that were sold with the old pins.

When I bought my plow last year (7.5" Trip Edge) I made sure the updated pins were installed before I took delivery. Naturally there was no snow after that so I can't speak to the reliability of the fix, but I haven't heard of any problems since.
  7. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

John, glad to hear that there's been no problems with the straight blades. I will make sure of the pin situation on the locking levers when i pick it up bgrover. I'm going to pick it up today at 3:30, a 7'6" Superduty (full moldboard trip) SmartHitch 2 and Smart touch hand control. Thanks again guys, good luck with your plows and hope for feet, not inches of snow :D
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I only have one Boss,its a 9ft V.I bought it new last yr It had a problem every time i went out last season,nothing major,but always something wrong. I installed it myself,like ido every plow, When i took the blade off the pallet, I seen the weld was seriously defective on the Rh blade 1/2,so back to the dealer for another one.The headlights came brand new with the one socket RH side High beam out of the housing i tested them,when it didnt work, I pulled the lense off,by that time the bulb had started melting thru the housing.I put plugged the light in,checked all the rest,and never had a problem again.Ist storm, i lost Boss decal within 2 hrs of plowing,I almost lost the plow off the truck the 2nd time out,the smart hitch roll pins sheered right off,the pin backed out i seen the headgear move when i raised,it moved a lot,if i hadnt it would have fell right off,likey doing a lot of wiring damage along with ripping the other pin,and bending the plow frame,may have even ran it over.third storm,I went thru 2 center hoofs,or shoes whatever you call them,they are almost 70 bucks each,i finally made one (homemade out of a urethane scrap,it works better than theirs,no problems since. 4th time out I lost a running light bulb at 230am in a driving snow storm,in the right side,water kept getting into the housing,blew my fuse,and all running lights ,and dash lights on the truck,this is when installing your own plow is helpfull i knew right were to find/cut the wire to the plow running lights until i could fix it . One new socket later ,and sealed it with clear RTV,no problems since.I put the plow on this fall to check it out,change fluid,and as i rasied the headgr for the first time this yr,rusty water came gushing out the light bar,it seems 2 little drain holes would have prevented this,so i had to take off the running lights,blow out the junk W backpack blower,drill 2 3/8 drain holes,.problem solved.I also tied the hoses for the angle cyl together like JA did. I drilled 2 3/8 holes in the center section and ran tie wraps tru there,and around the hoses to keep them from getting caught in the springs.You have to put the holes low,so when the plow trips it wont rip the hoses out of the plow pump.I also took some 3/4 heater hose,cut it longways,and installed it everywhere the hsoes rubbed on something,and where i tied them together.Ill post a pic of what i did if anyone wants it,next time i have the plow on the truck,it only takes 10 minutes,and may save a broken hose.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2002