1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Know when to walk away

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Avitare, Nov 27, 2007.

1. A 'downstate' home owner wanted our "best price" for plowing
    when he calls us to clear to his new vacation home.

He had alittle trouble understanding that a 6inch accumulation
    is not that same as a 16inch accumulation. So, giving a per push
    price was not going to be possible.

But, being respectful that this was a nice referal, I drove to see the
    'driveway'. As I stared up the long hill thru the trees, I set my trip OD.
    A 0.5mile later, and still climbing,.. the 'drive' was rutted and felt
    soft--even after 2 days of 25degs.

I turned around and picked up the phone.
    Sorry, sir, we cant help you. Here is a number of another local
    guy with really serious trucks ( and charges for them),...

That drive would have smoked our trans half way up that hill if there
    was any depth at all.
    And this was not going to be a bargain.

Save the equipment , fold 'em and walk away.
  2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a good decision, even for someone in need of jobs. It wouldn't be worth wrecking your truck for one job, especially for a penny pincher like that.
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Walking away is the hardest thing to do. But in that situation its all you could do.

Whats the guys number? Lol
  4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

not to mention the tire ruts would get hardpacked and ice up. salt would melt it and fill the ruts and refreeze too.so you could never completely make the area safe with out constant deiceing. just my two cents,but great call to leave it be.:salute:
  5. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

You made the right decision....save the equipment.
  6. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

We had to walk away from one last night too. A property management company wanted a quote for 9 rental properties. I went to look at them and these are some of the tightest spots and worst streets around. Our route is pretty full to begin with and the time these would take would just put us over. Walking away from them is tough to do but just one of those things that has to be done.
  7. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Very good calls. I don't like turning down jobs either, after all, it is money right? But knowing when to say no works out much better than thinking no, but saying yes and taking a big hit over it. As long as the reasons for declining a job is legit, and explained to the client in a professional manner, you are still able to walk away and although you didn't provide service for them, they may still recommend you to others because you were stright forward with them. Most people like that.