1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Knock or ping

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Eliw, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Eliw

Eliw Member

I have a 01 ram 2500 v10 auto. Starting last December it started pining under load. First time was pulling a trailer with a Chevy 2500 on it up hill. It did it just once and didn’t have anymore problems. Now it does it all the time when I have the plow on. If I give it any more then half throttle it makes a bang/pop that sounds like it coming form the exhaust manifold. The O2 sensors, spark plugs and wires are about 8 months old. I tried a tank of 90 octane and it did not make a difference. Does anyone have anything I can try to remedy this? It is getting really frustrating. I really don’t want to go to the local dealer because they have screwed me to many times.
  2. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I had this problem on a 2002 Ram 1500 w/5.9. It would only ping under a load and when it did it was only once or twice. I had to change the intake gasket, plenum gasket and the cat. You might want to start with your cat, but as it is running spray carb cleaner around your intake and see if it runs any different.
  3. Eliw

Eliw Member

I have tried spraying around the intake manifold and nothing. The cats are hallow. I think I’m going to try replacing the coil packs.