1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

-Knock- Knock-..................

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Landscape80, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Well, got the good ole' Powerstroke......love to to death, but it's got this really annoying knock in the right side of the front end. I'm thinking it's just a worn bushing somewhere, but what bushings wear the fastest? I don't beleive it's a ball joint b/c it doesn't do it when stopping, just going over rough terrain (which in reality is all of PA's roads). I can move the Track bar with my hands and it will have metal-to-metal contact, but I know that you can move one with good bushings by hand. Any suggestions? My only other thought (and my buddy should take credit for this one) is possibly a leaf spring bushing? As far as I know, it's never had a plow on it, so.....I dunno.......

As always, any and all help is appreciated

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

sway bar links
  3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Check your ball joints---these trucks are notorious for chewing them up!---It may not be it but its worth checking---Many posts on this type thing--may want to do a search!
  4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

I had a ford that clunked over bumps but would go away when pressing on the brakes. It was the caliper slapping around. There was alot of wear on the mounting backet.
    I would also check the shock and leaf spring bushings .
  5. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Thanks......I'll climb under it soon and give it a looksee. Tonight I moved my truck while it was still cold and it did something really weird. It didn't have any accelaration......it only does it until the motor gets up to a certain temp. After the engine is relatively warm it goes away and has normal accelaration. Tonight I moved it from one side of the driveway to the other and had it floored and it went about 5 mph...........I am gonna replace the cam sensor and see if it fixes it but if not, is this common on these trucks to keep sh!t from blowing up until oil lubes everything up, or is my truck messed up? Maybe someone else has or had the same issue............Thanks yet again, sorry to be an annoyance.

6. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

id guess that the racket in the front end is the wheel joints ( U-Joint ) in the front axle assemably, they get real loose and clank around, i had the same problem on my truck and that was it, only about 14$ a piece. As for the engine, wat year? i have a 95 powerstroke and its a real dog till it gets warmed up then does fine, but the CPS (cam position senson) is very common and a simple fix. best of luck with whatever it may be.
  7. plowed

plowed Senior Member

It is normal for the PSD to do this until it's warmed up a bit. It not the CPS, although you should carry a spare for when you do need it. If it does not accelarate once it's warmed up, or does so intermitantly, check the tps, another common Ford PSD challenge.