1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Knock in the steering wheel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brad M., Dec 2, 2003.

1. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! On my wifes 03 2500hd there is a slight knock in the steering at times. Usually notice it while turning the truck. This truck just turned 15000 miles. Any suggestions on what the fix is? Appreciate any and all feedback.

2. JCKL

JCKL Junior Member

3. myo

myo Senior Member

My truck was doing the same thing and I brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it... they now have a fix kit for it.

It doesn't do the knocking anymore.

4. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

My '02 K1500 with 16,000 miles is doing the steering clunk. It is supposedly the intermediate steering shaft that causes this. The old fix (tsb) was to remove the steering shaft and lube it up and reinstall it. From what I have heard, this fix only lasts a short time and the clunk comes back. I tried that link that JCKL posted above, but it said access denied. Have they come up with a permanent fix for this problem, or is it still the temporary lube job? I plan on taking my truck in sometime in the future, but I believe I am going to let it get a bit worse before I do. Somedays it seems to do it worse than others, and somedays it is barely detectable. It would be my luck it wouldn't do it at all when I visited the service department. :rolleyes:

5. Rappa

Rappa Member

My 02 2500HD did the same thing. My dealer was great. I brought it in, and they replaced the Intermediate Steering Shaft. Problem solved... Good Luck.

6. thunderace4

thunderace4 Junior Member

steering knock

My brothers 1500 avalanche did the same thing and the dealer just lubed it up and the noise went away. I have an o3 1500 and it only has 3000 miles on it and I hear a slight ckunking noise. i'll keep you posted as to the fix.

7. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

My 2002 2500HD did the same thing. First time they just lubed it. Next time I went back they replaced the intermediate steering shaft, works like new now.