1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

KnN filters

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 03mossy, Nov 28, 2007.

1. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

i have always run KnN's in my trucks and atv's, always thought they where doing there job. i could notice the power differance in my atv's. but over the last few weeks my durimax has been loosing power big time. i would pull out to pass and have to go back behind. very frustating. took it in to my dealer and he called later and asked me why i had a knn air filter in there. he said they let threw to big of particles and my mass air flow sensor was all gummed up so it wasn't sending the right amout of air to the engine. they cleaned it changed the fuel filter while they were at it and now my truck has its "balls" back. any other durimax owners have problems with KnN's

(the filter was just cleaned and recharged about 6 weeks ago)

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a K n N on my 2000 Cummins and never had a problem.

But I decided to go with a Bully Dog RFI on my new one. Catches particles smaller than a K n N and I have noticed some improvement on the fuel mileage.

My dad has K n N on his chevy's and hasn't had a problem yet but they are gassers too.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They say the stock filter is the best in the Duramax. They have done alot of testing to prove that. Go to Dieselplace.com and do a search on K and N.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i have found over time the oil builds up on the mass and gives a faulse signle. but other wise no problems on my gas motors.

the boss at work has a 03 2500hd dmax. we installed a k&n fipk kit. less than 1 month later the filter sucked its self in. thay gave him a new one.

5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

for our turbo diesel trucks the K&Ns are not so good. they do let a lot of dirt threw. i have seen it first hand. took one off a 01 cummins that had not been on long and was new. and it had about 1/2" atleast black dirty crap on it and then i took off the intake tube and the turbo was black. i mean wipe it off with your finger build up black nasty stuff.

id recommend a dry flow non oiled filter. the amsoil nano fiber filters are good and dont cost big $$$ plus you dont have to oil them. i think a few other companies are making dry filters not to.

6. beungood

beungood Member

Aef

I hear AEF has a new high performance filter that is non oiler and filters smaller particles than the K&N im thinking of switching it out...

7. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Agreed , do some reading , stay with stock