1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kinda ugly first plow truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SBrav77, Dec 11, 2005.

1. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

Hello all. I have attached a pic of my first plow truck. I purchased it last year. It's not the prettiest truck around. But, it gets the job done. Anyway, I"m gonna sell it after the season is over and look for an older bronco or explorer with a plow setup. The truck is an 86 F-150 with manual locking hubs, straight 6, 4 speed stick and the granny gear. Have to start off in 3rd gear or you won't get going very fast.

plow3.jpg

2. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Looks nice to me :)

3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

great truck, i have the same combo except and 85 version. I start off in second and can shift fast enough to keep her movin. I luv my six, you can barely tell the plow is on there.

[​IMG]

BTW if you ahve the feedback carb it is a PITA to deal with. I swapped everything on mine back to Duraspark II which also elminated the computer and TFI module

4. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

Thanks. It has some rust around the wheel area. I have replaced the rear u-joint, and the power steering pump and also I had to purchase a new battery when I got it. Last on my list is Wednesday, when I have the gas tank replaced due to a small leak. It's not noticeable. But, with the price of gas, I would rather spend the 50.00 on a used tank. I only paid 1200.00 for the truck and plow when I got it. Not a bad price I guess. It fires up with no trouble. Usually with the first turn of the key. Does anybody have any advice and what type of SUV I should look at when I go hunting. I'm thinking of an older Blazer or Explorer. Any advice from the pro's here would be nice.

5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

old fords run forever, i would kno. i can tell you have your heart set on a smaller suv for plowing. i kno you can plow with a ford explorer or the smaller s-10 blazer but i wouldnt recomend it unless its for personal use only. i would look into an older jeep cj with a 7ft plow. much stronger vehical and they last a long time when well taken care of.

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

yea i wouldn't use an exploder or blazer for plowing. I am a ford person so i would go bronco or if ya want somethin really small use the older jeep that has a solid front axle.

There is someone on here that uses bronco II's but they way i drive i need a HD unit

7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

s-10's

nothing wrong with s-10 blazers . had one sorry i sold it (gave it away)
    lookin for another one. it would do almost as much as my 78 3/4t
    with 8' plow.almost. it was great for drivways better on gas (4.3 vs 454)
    it even had the poly edge which does'nt take up the turf. i miss it.....

8. 89K2500

89K2500 Junior Member

hey sbrav77 where u from in illinois were looking for more people to help push? im located in n-w suburbs from chicago.

9. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

I'm from Bourbonnais. Located right outside Kankakee and about 65 miles south of Chicago.If you have anything fairly close to me let me know.I work early in the morning. So, I wouldn't be able to do far commutes.
    Thanks

10. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

I dunno, it almost seems klike he's talking about an older Blazer. You knowm back when they made real size Blazers? They're not just for OJ, they're good for plowing too....

11. payton

payton Senior Member

umm OJ had a bronco not a blazer.

12. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

I'm open to any suggestions really. I have two young daughters and want to really get into plowing heavy next year. Our 2004 Ford Freestar just won't work for plowing (haha). I was looking into the suv area because it would have plenty of room for when my wife gets tired of the kids and wants to send them out with me. I'm sure lots of people here know what I'm talking about. So, if anybody has any thoughts they would like to throw out, I"m open to suggestions. I can't afford to spend a fortune so price is somewhat of an issue.

13. CrazyCooter

Oops my bad. Bronco was what I was thinking of. My brother used one for plowing, had great luck.

14. CrazyCooter

If you plan on plowing just yours and a few others, than a homesteader would work, can put it on a lot of vehicles. I can't think of small, cheap suv's that I'd trust putting a plow on, or that would not void the warranty (if it still had one). Better to have a cheap old truck for plowing and keep the SUV you have.

15. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Ouch that hurts.....disgracing a Ford like that:angry: lol

Yea fullsize SUV's are okay

16. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

Old Fords are the way to go. IMHO.
    Here's my 84 F-250 just after I picked it up.
    I need to get a couple new shots since I've got the plow and spreader on there now...

[​IMG]

17. CrazyCooter

Naw, it's okay, it's a Ford, it's used to it :jester:

18. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

You MORON:realmad:

Hahah just kidding man, my s-10 handles the plow better then alotta trucks I see and so far I've only needed 2wd and the 4.3 vortec pushes like a champ.

Ideal plow rig? No way, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it commerically as long as your not gonna do big lots with 10 inches of snow.

19. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

SBrav77, if you are looking to get into a small SUV to plow and hunt with I would definitely recommend a 91 to 94 Explorer. A Jeep wouldn't be bad either but Explorers are just beefier in general, cozier, and these days that generation of explorer are a dime a dozen. My first car was a 91 and it still ran at 235K miles when I traded up for a 92, which now as 240K on it and runs great. I just put a plow on this winter and its handles it excellent so far. The advantages of an explorer over the s-10 blazer on mainly in the front suspension and drivetrain, explorer is much simpler technology (TTB vs. true IFS on the blazer) and naturally more rugged. This also means its easier to lift if you want to go that route. Definitely look for one with manual hubs and pay attention to the auto trannys as both of mine needed replaced at 200k, a stick would be better.

20. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

Yea. I was leaning more towards an explorer from around that year. I just wasn't sure how it would do with a plow. There is always several for sale in my area reasonable priced. How do you like plowing with the Explorer?