1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kind of stumped.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kermit1414, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Kermit1414

Kermit1414 Junior Member

I am on my first year of resi. 33 accounts. Just 2 of us. We seem to keep up with the work very well. 1 truck with plow and 2 blowers. It's early...Im sure something is bound to go wrong sometime. :cool:

Thing is, This weekend I spent some time in a resort town. Started snowing...late Fri night, ended monday morning. 20+ inches. I stayed at two hotels during the event. One a national. The only time I saw a plow at either was monday at 2pm...and 4:30. I literally had to shovel myself out of the lot. I am having trouble believing this is the norm. NOT what I expected at 2 beans a night.

Same thing at the gas station....right off major Hwy. Cars couldnt get into the lot....or got stuck in it. I asked an employee....said he didnt know. Manager was on vacation and didnt know who to call.

90% of the commercial work in the area was either poorly done or not touched at all. Till....much after the storm.

I have noticed the same on a previous visit.

Could it be the norm in the area??? Due to the high amount of yearly snow?.....really horrible snow removal?.......or cheap owners??? or a combo of all of it.

2. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

How about telling us where you were...

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Like here some guys waits till the snow stops to plow maybe that how it is there

I don't wait

Was it Buffs Town

4. Kermit1414

Kermit1414 Junior Member

No, Not Buffs area.

One of the ski resorts.

Ran into the plow guy outside the hotel. Told me he was done here and was headed to another property.....sidewalks not done....lot looked like crap.

Just seemed like really bad service...noticed in many places. Maybe its just the norm ....due to the amount of snow + waiting for the storm to pass.

5. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Well, I doubt that'd be Vail as they used to be fairly good at clearing.

Winterpark perhaps? We're not asking to try and scoop in but you can't actually expect decent input with limited information. That sort of thinking leaves the rest of us well...STUMPED.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Hotels and Gas stations = Cheapest owners ever as a whole......:rolleyes:

7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe if it's a ski resort town, they figure everyone from out of town will be up on the slopes skiing and not care what things are like in town. All locals are used to snow on a regular basis and therefore, own vehicles that are appropriate for their location/weather. Just curious, did all the cars that were getting stuck have out of state plates, (tourist from Florida who don't know how to drive in snow)? Lodges have shuttle vans/buses that can still get around. Everyone will be walking in ski boots from lodge to van to slopes, so who cares about the walks.

And, what WG said above, tight asses who don't want to pay for proper service. Just my guess.

8. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

No he's right to not tell us. You know, cause we are going to dump our businesses and move to some resort town because some random guy on the internet says there's a lot of work. :rolleyes:

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Whoa........ how'd I get pulled into this........ :dizzy:
    I don't do gas, retail or hotels.......

What you said is pretty typical of resort / mountain towns in general from what I've seen. When you get 3-4ft over a period of a couple days it's hard to keep everything clean and the cost would be prohibitive.

10. Antlerart06

I knew that would get your attention :waving:

Have a Merry Christmas

I know one time I was out there The big city of Tin Cup There roads was bad the city hadn't been out for days

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

LOL...
    You too and keep out of SL area.....Thumbs Up

12. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Buff has a program that instantly alerts him anytime his name is mentioned in a thread.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I call it "ESPN"........:laughing::laughing:

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Tin cup a resort town.:laughing::laughing:
    Do they have a "cityplow now"
    when i lived not to far away from Tin Cup you needed a snowmobile or a snow~cat to get there in the winter.
    In the winter the road was closed at the dam and the pass was closed on the bunevista side.
    you had to get there from hwy50 just out side of gunnison

if it wasn't for folks from cali or the invention of the 4wheeler that place would be just a sleepy village.

I was just out their 2 years ago and the place sure has seen a lot of development. soon Cotonwood pass will be open year around.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

derail......

the more you know.
    or what happens while your away.

Work will likely begin to improve the upper 12.4 miles of Cottonwood Pass on this side of County Road 209 this summer. The project will widen the road to two 11-foot-wide paved lanes with one-foot-wide gravel shoulders, and will remove some of the more technical switchbacks toward the top of the pass. Marlene Crosby, director of Gunnison County public works, told the News, “The improvement in safety is the driving force behind this project. The reduced cost of maintenance is a strong second. We’re in the final process of getting the federal highway to cut the checks.”

http://www.crestedbuttenews.com/

16. Antlerart06

It was joke xysport and yes the way we got there was on Snowmobile
    A great uncle use to own a house in Tin Cup only been there once in winter time mostly went out there in summer time

17. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

We have noticed that when we have gone to resort type areas in lake affect areas or heavy snow areas. Restaurants with six inches of snow and solid ice pack under that and hotels that leave snow on the lot for the snowmobiles. I think it's just what your tolerance is. And then balance that with budget.