1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kind of new to plowing. . .

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mang1, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Mang1

Mang1 Junior Member
    from NY

I'm 18 yrs old and i've been plowing since i was 16. I own a landscaping company and i used to plow for a fellow landscaper that used to do my plowing for me. This year i decided to buy my own plow and i just have a few stupid questions to ask. . . What's the purpose of plow shoes?

2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Nothing!

Started 10-13-08
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=66220

And then started 10-14-08
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=66327

Not to bash here, but try the seach feature of this site? It is the 5th tab on the top

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Shoes work well if all your plowing is gravel. If not gravel then throw them away.

4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

So, let me get this straight, you worked for the guy that worked for you?

If you don't have any backdragging to do, they can extend the life of your cutting edge a bit if you set them to the same height as your edge. Other than that, they are not of much good use.

5. Mang1

Mang1 Junior Member
    from NY

No, he used to take over my accounts for the winter months with his company. i just drove a truck for him

6. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Most of us wear bunny slippers! (pink,white,grey it's your choice):jester::jester:

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You don't need shoes I don't use them and I plow gravel and tar driveways.

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

hey ducatirider944,

you take that animal with you plowing? :dizzy:

9. Mang1

Mang1 Junior Member
    from NY

and it won't hurt if i don't use them on a new concrete driveway?

10. ducatirider944

from Iowa

That is my boss, He is the man!:D

If it isn't dry yet, like it was poured 4 hours ago, I wouldn't use them. If it is old enough you can run a plow on it, you will be fine with shoes.

11. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I use shoes early in the season when the ground is soft. once hard it doesnt matter. Your still going to push a fair amount of gravel with them on though.

12. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Best dog I ever owned. Poor guy is almost 10, and he's wobbling bad. Gonna miss him when he goes.

13. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Wiemaraner? They are great, I have two. The hardest part is they think they are people and equals, ok they might be. LOL I don't think I will never have one, they have so much personality. My boy is 8 and I will be lost when he goes, so I know what you are talking about, plus he is the only one that is ratinonal in my family, the others are a female wiem, a female min pin, and the wife. It is a toss up who is more needy the wife or the female wiem!:D

14. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

no shoes. dont use them, dont need them

15. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

Keep them around, you will need them w/ the new pervious paving going on

16. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

I haven't used plow shoes in 30 years...I only do one gravel lot (a small church lot) and it's so packed down it doesn't matter there either.