1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Killing a fly with a 12 guage???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by beans, Dec 22, 2008.

1. beans

beans Junior Member

Just wanted to see what you seasoned veterans think of the purchase for what its intended for The truck has already been purchased.

2009 F250 Super Duty with the 6.4L regular cab with a Western MVP Poly V plow.

commercial site with about 20 parking spots and a back ally totaling about 150ft.
    2 residential driveways totaling 200 ft combined.

the truck will also be used to tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer, single axle. Towing will be about maybe twice a week 100km round trip, 95% highway driving. But for sure once a week the truck will be used to tow.

plan to keep the truck for 10 yrs. minimum.

Not doing commercial plowing for anyone but sometimes help out friends when a big storm hits. at this point, I don't see myself plowing as a business.

too much truck for what I'm using it for or do you think I could have gotten away with the 5.4L.

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I think that bigger is best for snowplowing. I think you will be happy with your purchase. What size v plow did you get?

3. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

The bigger motor will help the resale value down the road too. Definitely not too much truck or motor.

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

as long as the $$ is there, there is no such thing as too much truck!

5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

im going to disagree, i honestly think you could have been fine with a 5.4 or 6.8 gasser. the trailer you plan to tow could of been handle by a half ton 4.6 with no problem. but if you have the money and already have the truck its not going to hurt you at all, it will help with re sale like stated before.

6. beans

beans Junior Member

8.5 should be it.

bigger truck also means bigger toys down the road. xysport

should this be about right, less than 300 km driven/worked and its already sucked down more than half the tank.

7. 1pfieffer1

1pfieffer1 Junior Member

5.4 is plenty. I have a 2002 f-250 crew cab shortbed with the 5.4. I push a 8.5' SnoWay, tow an 18' flatbed with a 33 hp compact with loader and backhoe on it, and a 12' dump trailer with 3 ton of stone and it does just great. (not all at once)

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The 6.4 is awfully unreliable from the factory and is known to be terrible on fuel mileage. It is the emissions b.s. required by the EPA that causes all the problems. You should have asked the question before you bought the truck. I hope you have a backup truck cause yours COULD be in the shop a lot. There are big transportation companies that will not hire a driver with a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 because they are so unreliable and leave loads stranded on the road. They will hire a guy with a 7.3 though. Did you know they have to remove the entire cab of the truck just to do work on the engine? You could also buy the DPF delete kit to remove the emissions b.s. and not worry about problems. Too late now but I would have gone with a pre emissions b.s. truck.

9. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I second the above. The 6.4 isn't known for it's great mileage. I have a 97 with the 7.3 and 180k and get better mileage than the new trucks. A diesel motor taken care of should be good for 300k. I'll let ya know when I get there. Ford is coming out with the mule motor for 2011 and getting away from Navistar.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u=3

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  10. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Sounds like a great truck for your application. Possibility for expansion, i.e. more plowing, bigger trailer, fifth wheel.
    Every brand of truck has it's draw backs. I've gone through three front ends on my Dodge and the 6.4 is getting much better mileage than my 5.7 Hemi.