1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cumminswithplow, Feb 8, 2005.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

What are your guys thought about taking your kids for a ride along? I normally dont allow any extra riders at all. I suppose there is a safety issue. But, today my kids didnt have school and I needed to go hit the resteraunts before the supper rush. My two boys ages 6 and 8 asked if they could go with. I took um with me. Anyone else take there kids with them?
  2. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I have a 5 and a 6 year old usually I have at least 1 with me. Both love to go. They are safe in there car seats . I think it cool to spend time with them.
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have kids but I will take anyone along that I can. Friends, girlfriend, father. It's just more fun to sit and chat with someone. Or other wise I end up irritating people on the 2-way :nod:
  4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I've taken mine and though I loved having them along and being with them, I have to admit they were a distraction. You all know how it is, trying to concentrate on what you're doing so you don't hit something. The constant moving forward, backing up, trying to watch out for everything. It's harder to do that with 2 kids behind you fooling around. That's been my experience with it. I think I'd like doing it better if they were older and could keep still and maybe help me out a little. Well, we'll see someday I guess.
  5. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

When i was a kid (well i guess i still am) if I got a chance to ride in a plow truck i probably would not have slept for 3 days because i would have been so excited.
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Both my kids started riding along the year they were born. That was fun, cant hold a bottle and screaming at you because your not holding it for them either when you need to shift or run the plow. Now that my daughter is 12 and my boy is 9, they could care less to ride along unless i have to go and run the loader.
  7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

CRASH......LOL!.....I hear ya......My 12 yo. can't be bothered anymore either!

A neighbor kid is always hanging out in my lot when I am plowing. I am scared to death of losing site of his little axx and running him over.
    I just pile him in the truck (with parents permission) and let him jam on the cab command controller......UP, down, left, right etc........

Hes pretty good at it and funny as hell and no fighting with him over what tunes to listen to..............That "ska" music my 12 yo. listens too drives me nuts !!!!!

(Ska music is that heavy beat jam music the skateboarding kids listen too....
    Just for US old farts that don't know what I mean.......LOL ! :cool: )
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

My best friend's 3 year old won't even let him leave the driveway to go plowing unless he gets to go. So his son is in a child seat in the middle of the cab with his shovel guy in the passenger seat. Its a little cramped but my friend enjoys it. His employee doesn't. He lets his son run the plow.

This same 3 year old sat in my lap on a ZTR at showed me that he could run it. He was pretty good at keeping the lines straight. He has to be the smartest 3 year old I have ever met.

My girlfriend can't wait until I get my new plow truck so she can go plowing with me.
  9. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Not to mention you will be giVing him memories that will last a lifetime,when he is old enough every time he hops in a plow truck he will always remember his very fiRst expeRiance and that MY FRIEND is absolutely PRICELESS!
  10. cumminswithplow

I have to admit that I liked having them with. I cant wait till they get older. They can help. But for now it was fun. I can see what you mean about them being a distraction. But they were looking out the window while I was backing up "just to make sure you can see everything" I have 2 more little one at home also. But until they are out of diapers theres no way they are going. :)
  11. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Not only does my 12 year old daughter ride with me , but she shovels for some extra cash as well. She works harder than my friends 16 year old son!!! The time we get to spend together is great as she is just about at the age of not wanting to be with her parents.
  12. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

We have had our children and grandchildren take an active part in our snow removal and salting business sense they were born. This shows kids that you can work and support self. To teach a child to operate equipment safely is priceless. I have put grandson in backhoe and had him operate it. Grandson can live the part of bob the builder... not watching him on TV. Hard honest work is a great thing to teach children. We have had 3 generations of family plowing and salting for a few seasons. Now grandpa and grandma leave for FLA. We only have 2 generations working at any one time now. Our daughter has plowed sense she was 12. This is what makes America great.

13. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Although I don;t have any kids, the girls usually like going a lot. MY sister who is 19 went with me last year on Christmas Eve and now whenever she is home from school she'l go out with me all night. The girlfriend has gone a few times too and also some of my other friends. You just have to be careful not to get too distracted.
  14. cumminswithplow

I know my kids really love going to work with me anytime they can. And I love having them. Both of the older ones love the skid loader as well. My oldest could probably run it better them most 18 year olds. Not that I would let him. But if he ever had to. He could.
  15. Up North

Up North Senior Member

My 3 year old loves going with me. He's always asking if we can go plow...even on days it's not snowing. Funny thing is, when he goes with me he'll help operate the controller for a few driveways and then BOOM! He's asleep in the car seat. On Sunday I went and busted out some drifts for a guy and man, that was some rough & tumble plowing...Ben slept right thru it. :sleeping:

16. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

ya im 13 i know u guys are talkin bout like little kids but i go with my dad every time i keep him company and tell him when cars are coming and stuff i know more about the new plows and stuff than him i love to go i even payed for our 2 strobe lights that were 130 with my own money lol im obsessed with plowing i love it and i also put on and take off the plow for him hes been plowing for 23 years cant wait till i get my license first truck is gonna b a plow truck
  17. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I'll let you in on a little secret...I'll bet your dad gets even more enjoyment out of having you go with him then you do. He probably will never tell you that...us dad's tend not to tell our kids things like that sometimes. Just keep going with and enjoy the time with your father because I'll guarantee you it makes his day having his son take an interest in what he does.

Good luck to you in the future.

18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have kids yet, iam still a kid myself. Most of the time iam alone when plowing especially now that my brother plows on his own now. Long storms my father will come with me if he has nothing better to do. I have had friends come with me in the past but thats always a disaster "can i plow". NO!
  19. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

My 9 year old girl is good for about and hour before the back and forth and hitting the piles starts to get to her . Then I run her home .
  20. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I have a 9month old at home and no matter how much I would love to have him riding along; I won't take him out untill he is in a forward facing seat. Although I will occastionaly take him out to plow the driveway. I can't wait until next season, Daniel, the dog, and myself.