1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kicking a thought around..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 20, 2007.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

As you know my truck went down and nothing to plow with. I had been thinking about this idea. If I was to have another truck in my yard and I could find enough used plow parts for the under carriage i could then just swap the plow out. Yes. No.

Personally I'll just buy a complete plow setup anyway.

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

We have a place over here were you can rent a dump truck hydro spreader de icer with plow combo for 360.00 a day.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty much why my business buys my dad a new truck every 4 years.

It's a backup.

It's a second plow truck.

It's got my second plow.

It's my backup truck in the summer, when my first go-to truck is running 60-80 hours / week mowing.

A percentage is a tax write-off.

You certainly don't have to buy new and have that $500-600 / month payment for a backup, but IMO, you definately need something parked in the yard as a backup.

If not, you're in the situation you're in now.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It was only down for 2 days but of course we got 8" of snow and I had to scramble to get someone to let me use one of their trucks.

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I dont think that is a bad idea at all. I assume you are going to use boss stuff, It is really very easy to come across on ebay. I bought a mount and a wiring harness for like 300 bucks in the off season. The thing I like about boss to is that all of the wiring harnesses are the same for any truck. I say go for it. Keep an eye out for a OBS 350 Gasser and pick it up for 5 Grand.

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

This is why I have 2 subs but can do my route myself if i hustle.....
    The one with the Dodge/Snoway is unemployed at this moment, and only has a few small places of his own to push. The one with the Chevy has a day job and a few places of his own to push but can make some time if need be. I can also rent a Kubota L3130 utility tractor 4wd diesel with box blade and loader for $150 a day with a trailer and put someone on it if need be....

However I will be fixing up the 79 Dodge this summer so its a little better looking and quieter and put good tires on it, I'm going to (hopefully) get a bigger stronger plow for the Ram 2500 (wanting a Blizzard 8611 Low profile) and put the SnoWay 7.5' on the 79 Dodge with the Western ProFlo 2 spreader (which also needs some work) so I have a 2nd truck. By next winter I will probably need a little extra help on some lots, it will make a good backup truck for both plowing and salting, and my sidewalk guy can use it for that as well...

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

You suck! thats exactly what I need right now, but no-one around here will rent a plow truck.

8. mole

mole Senior Member

united rentals. or better yet look into hertz or budget rent a car they use there own for there lots and have rentals avail. I used on two years ago when I broke an axel on my old dodge. I used it for two weeks.

9. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

Thats what i have done but it works best with the boss setup witch is what you have is it not good luck paid 4,000.00 for the back up and used it rather then the new truck.

10. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Since the day I started plowing, I always had a backup truck. If a truck goes down, we have one sitting at our shop already to go with the plow. May not use it, but comes in handy when you need it. I know have a plow on my crew cab personal truck just in case two trucks go down. Better safe than sorry, because the customers doesn't care what happens to your trucks, that want there sh*t plowed regardless.

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

As much as I know the reserve truck is there JUST IN CASE, it would always be too tempting to me to put another operator in it to make more money. My goal is to have 2 trucks doing the work that one would do when pushed to the limits (should there be a problem with truck or employee). I've gotten away with 1 truck and basically no problems for 14 years, so the odds are not in my favor!

12. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

Buy the second truck! It's a write off anyway and will pay for itself it your regular truck breaks down just one time. That's what I did this last summer. I bought another truck for $1500.00 and a complete used plow, mount, wiring for $1800.00. So for $3300.00 I have a back up just sitting there and will use it if we get a huge storm and then will run both trucks to keep up. Also both plows are western unimounts and will mount to either truck. So if a truck or plow break, a have a backup for each.