1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kick to the groin, over and over

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jchudzinski, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jchudzinski

jchudzinski Junior Member

Here's the deal, and I don't know what my next step should be, here is the quick summary. So a snowplow contractor in my town has had the local schools for the past so many years, and was never bid out. So last year i bugged some people and got them to bid it out, but wasn't done properly, they just called me and told me my bid was due in a few days, said ok took it in and they read my aloud as well as his. I was lower in all categories, figured no brainer. Wrong, He wrote in at the bottom of his bid "if awarded the contract will plow the adult ed building for free" to me this is a bribe all the way. So i lost it based on that. So on to the new year, raised holy hell this year and they ended up putting it in the paper, bids were due Nov 21, which in northern Michigan that is way to late to be doing bids. So i turned my bid in like I should, was lower then him again, and the guy in charge of the bids said "will we go look this over and get back with you" so today going in to do some salting and there he was the other contractor plowing the site. Here is the kicker, it's plowing by the hour, 5 acres the contractor doing it now uses 2000-2005 chevy 2500 with all strights blades. 4 of them at a time, takes him 4 hours each truck. I have plenty of new equipment, including ebling back baldes wideout plows, all new trucks, kubotas, and loaders. I would be able to do it in half the time, and my bid was cheaper, and its our tax payers money. But apparently my school district is just corrupt. Anyone dealt with this, any advice, it's starting to become personal now.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Guess your envelope didn't have as many 100 bills in it as his did.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How are you cheaper than this guy if its by the hour and your plows and trucks are more expensive than his?

4. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Give the information to a local reporter and see what they can dig up? I am sure this would make a good news story for the local TV or newspaper?

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

They are probably friends and are putting on a good show for you

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

There's a good chance that GV's comment may hold some truth. Cleveland has a long reputation for it & even my own local school system I know the players on both sides are doing it w/ several service contracts.

I agree w/ superdog, but I think you need to add a little meat to the bone in order to get the right attention. Suspicion doesn't cut it either.

I'd start by finding out the protocol of any state & county mandated laws that they are required to follow, pertaining to procedure. IE: newspaper ad / by invitation only, time stamp or bid deadline, values submitted in some cases such as w/ Federal contracts can throw a bid out if the figures are grossly miscalculated (high on some - low on others). I've never seen an item that can be offered for free, generally a value needs to be applied, even if it's $1.

Do your own ground work. The contracts, invoices (hours & values submitted) should be available through the fair information practices act. Usually not too hard to get, but there is any appropriate way to request the information, if you fall short of that or do it incorrectly, they don't have to give it to you.

Have someone monitor and video time stamp the work (video your cell phones time) and then cross reference to what invoices have been submitted. If you find something solid, then submit it to your local news and state attorney general.

7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i bet it is what everyone on here says there is nothing left of; loyalty. if it did go to you, then the other guy would be on here complaining someone under bid them and they are a lowballer ( not saying you are, just stating what always happens).

maybe the other guy has been super reliable and they like him, so they keep him. i wouldnt have a problem with that and hold it against them because we need more people who are loyal and not looking for the lowest price.

once again, not saying that you wouldnt do a better job or anything, but i think this is a good thing considering it seems like someone is actually loyal to their provider.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thread closed. You win.

9. jchudzinski

jchudzinski Junior Member

I agree with alot I what everyone has got to to, loyalty, friends and paying for a job, but the fact remains this is tax payers money along with the money for the kids in the school district. This money isn't there personal money to toy with. Your allowed loyalty with ur name is in the upper left corner of the check, your allowed to take kick backs when your name is on the front of the building.

10. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

I used to get pissed about an identical situation for a summer contract at a local school district. You're right in all regards. However, in the big scheme of things, the 2 or 3 or 5 thousand dollars you might save them isn't worth their time figuring out if you're cheaper or not. It's apathy and it's wrong but we do it in our businesses too.

11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

It's a publicly funded school department correct? So according to law it has to be public knowledge. It uses state and or federal money so an RFP must be issued. A Prebid meeting should be held along with walk throughs of the sites and a public opening of the bids. There should be set criteria put forth in the RFP. None of this I will do xxx for free. I would have every local paper and news channel on that. They eat up political corruption stories. Man up and start screaming.

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Price = hours X rate.
    OP: low hours, low rate = less money.
    Other guy: high hours, high rate = more money.

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I think every government bid package I've seen has some clause in it that states that they do not have to choose the low bidder, they can pick the vendor that best fits their needs. Most times it's a long term vendor, been there done that.

If we are talking major rip off of the local school district, that's one thing.

But if you're talking saving 10-20% to switch vendors, you'd be pissing in the wind.