1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keyless entry

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PLOWMAN45, Oct 19, 2005.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

anyone know of some aftermarket places for a key fob 2000 chevy silverado 2500 i have seen dealer price 60.00 and few and far between on ebay
  2. Check out eBay. They always have them listed.
  3. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

buddy bought a set on ebay for $25.00. just keep watching for them. the deals are out there from time to time.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Most keyless entry fobs will be able to "learn" a signal. either Ebay a set of GM ones or go to the local stereo place and ask em about aftermarket.
  5. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Actually, Im pretty sure the truck learns the frequency of the key fab. I know thats how GM factory fabs are and most car starter fabs.
    For example, my bud that bought a set off ebay bought a tahoe at the auction w/ no key fabs. i let him borrow one of mine til he found some. my fab would unlock both are doors and vice versa.
  6. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I got mine from eBay as well. The procedure isn't too bad, but finding it may be difficult. I don't think I was smart enough to save it either. I think the 2000 is the same as the 2001, so here is the info you need to choose the correct key fobs:
    GM/LEAR 15042968

Actually, the FCC ID isn't important, but it is listed sometimes.

When it is time to program them:
    You must program all of them at the same time. (Not all at once, but you can't program one today and then the other tomorrow.) If you have one already programmed and you want to program a second one you must program both of them.
    If I remember the procedure, it was something like:
    Get in, lock the doors,
    Turn the ignition on (but not to start), then off, then on, then off, then on again, (doors should lock and unlock on their own)
    Press and hold both buttons on the fob until the locks cycle,
    repeat with other fobs (up to a total of four),
    when done cycle ignition once again, (locks should cycle once to tell you it is exiting program mode.)

Now, mind you it has been almost a year, so I don't remember exactly what the procedure is. I may be right, I may be wrong. Do a search on the 'net. That's how I found the info.
  7. PLOWMAN45

i just bought one on ebay for 12 bucks i have to program it
  8. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

I have a single key fob from my 2002 silverado that I wrecked, It won't work on my 2005. If you want it, paypal me $15 and I will ship it to you immediately. Let me know..(It is brand new, as it was the one I was saving if I lost the original one)

9. PLOWMAN45

anyone belong to auto forum so i can program this remote ?
  10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Try maybe 12volt.com or chevy truck world.
  11. PLOWMAN45

i tried them both im calling my dealer today
  12. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

being as i work for a car dealer and i hear these questions all the time, you have to go to the dealer to get the RKE programed. they plug a commander into the vehicle data port and then tell the computer to accept the new fob esc. the reason that one would work on another vehicle is that the codes were the same. there is only a limited number of fob esc's. and they rotate. just like keys. i have two trucks of the same year and outa luck my keys are interchangable. i can unlock one with the others ignition key and and vice versa. but yes you havt to go to the dealer they should only charge you like 15-20 bucks for this.
  13. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I may be wrong about this, since mine is a 2001 and yours is a 2000, but I was able to program my RKE (fob) without going to the dealer or plugging anything in. All I needed was my key and the fobs to be programmed.
    Here is the procedure:
    To program your remotes do the following with the doors closed and the truck off:

1. Turn the ignition on and off three times (without starting the truck).
    2. Press the unlock button on the drivers side door. You should hear the locks cycle. If not repeat step one and try the lock button.
    3. Press the lock button on the remote. You can program up to four remotes at once.

Hope this helps,