1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keyless entry

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Seaway25, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I have an 01 Chevy 2500 HD. My keyless entry has been working sporadically for a while. I figured the battery was dying. I put a new battery in. The panic button works, but the lock and unlock don't work. I tried programming.
    -Key in the ignition
    -Hold down the unlock button on the door
    -Turn the ignition on and off twice
    -Release the unlock button
    The locks are supposed to cycle on and off at this point, but they never do. If they do cycle I think you hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the fob until they cycle again.

My question is am I doing something wrong with the programming, or is there a problem with the key fob? I am suspicious of the fob because the panic button works.

2. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Never mind. I just tried programming it again, and it worked. I didn't turn the key on and off fast enough before. I am still surprised that the panic button would work without the keyless entry working. It seems like all three buttons would work, or none of them would work. The security function must be separate from the locking mechanism.