1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keyless entry porblem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RCsLawncare, Jan 30, 2010.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Yet another problem. two days ago my remotes quit working, don't know what's wrong, Replaced both transmitter batteries and check all fuses. Is there something I am missing??

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

you need 2 reprogram your remote

3. Owenservices

Owenservices Junior Member

And, by any chance do you know how to do that kash I actully encountered the same problem recently with my 1500?

4. kashman

do you have a DEI or factory

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

They shouldn't need to be reprogrammed. I've lost a few batteries, and have never had to re program them.

To answer the question though, IF they do need to be reprogrammed, then you have to go to the dealer to get it done. It's not one of those; step on the accelerator 5 times then hit the break while rubbing your belly kind if things. GM so the lost revenue and changed that after 2000 or so lol.

Have you done any work to your truck that may have caused the system to reset? Although, I don't think it's that simple.

6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

1) Close all the vehicle doors.

2) Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder (do not turn yet).

3) Press and hold the door unlock switch.

4) While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.

5) Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.

6) Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.

7) Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.

8) Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

What year did this come off from?

8. kashman

2002 vw jetta thats the code for it

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

LMAO :laughing: Thats too funny. Each manufacture is different, not to mention they also vary from model to model and year to year.

I know for a fact that 02 and up can't be manually programmed, which leads me to believe the 99/00 and up also can't be programed manually.

10. RCsLawncare

Dang, I guess Ill have to see what's up at the dealer. The only thing that was done was new batteries, yet it worked fine till about a week ago when it got super cold. Batteries are 3 weeks old?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try the procedure ahorn provided? Because it is correct for a GM and WILL work on an '03. Should even show a condensed version of it in your owners manual under "resynchronization" in the keyless entry info. Although that one doesn't always work so the long version is necessary.

If the keyless is still inoperative afterwards then you'l need a trip to see the dealer and his Tech2 scanner, because there's something else in the system not working correctly. Most times its a faulty PDM.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

WHAT!?!?! :eek:

I just tried that procedure on my 02 right after he posted it the other night....it didn't work. Did they change it on the 03 and newer models or what?

I dished out $45 last fall for the dealer to replace a lost transmitter as well due to it NOT being listed in my owners manual. Is re syncing and adding two different things?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A reprogram and a resynchronization are two different things. A reprogramming is needed any time you start out with a new or different transmitter, but a resynchronization should be the only thing needed after a simple battery replacement with a transmitter already previously linked to the truck.

You do have to follow the steps to the letter or the reprogram won't work of course but some of the early trucks (pre-'02) wouldn't take to it no matter what. Still need a Tech2 to make it happy on some of them..

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahhh, I see now. The other re sync trick I was told about today was step 6. in the above post without any of the other steps.

I had another transmitter added to my truck today, $97 later for the "labor" (because 5 minutes and pushing a few buttons is soooo hard) and another $46 for the right transmitter.

Anyone need a transmitter for a GM truck 03-08? Brand new in the bag, I bought the wrong one from a Texas dealership that closed.

15. RCsLawncare

Tried the steps, no luck on mine. o well, Ill wait on that trip to the dealer. At least till its snows!!