1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keyed power 2006 Chevy Crew Cab 2500 HD 6.0L

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carlriv2, Feb 4, 2006.

1. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I am trying to install a power inverter to run my laptop and printer. I would like to supply the power to this with a keyed source. Does anyone know of a good strong keyed source in the newer Chevy trucks? Is the A or B stud keyed?

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I would just run a hot directly to the positive block and then run a relay from any keyed hot you can find to turn it on and off. you'll get the best performance from your inverter and you won't risk over drawing on an existing circuit.

-Jer

3. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the response... But this is only going to power a laptop and printer. It is comes with a cigarette lighter plug, so I don't think it really needs that much power. I just want to make sure I don't use a 10 amp circuit, 20-30 amp keyed power should be fine. The power ports used to have keyed power, but I don't think they do now.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You need one of these....

[​IMG]

They go in place of a fuse. You remove the original fuse, and put in in this.

Then you add your own fuse for the circuit you want to add.

I'd still see what you could do about getting a solid 12V and having the switched 12V activate a relay.

If it runs on a cig lighter circuit, why not use one?

5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Those are cool. Where did you get them?
    Got a link?

6. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

those are fusable links, should be able to get those at radio shack

7. TLS where can we get those?

TLS,
    Those are cool, are they available online??

8. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Thanks, I think I figured out the best way to do it.

I opened up the inverter and pulled one wire off the power switch. I then attached a keyed lead to that side of the switch.
    Then I wired the power leads to stud B and a ground.
    Now I can turn the inverter off and on with the original switch, but if it gets left on it will only run when the key is on, and not drain the battery.

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Those are NOT fusible links, I think they called "add a fuse" or something like that, a fusible link is essentially a section of wire that works like a fuse, it burns out when it reaches a certain temperature and sacrifices itself before overloading a wire. (the buttsplice crimps in the picture may have confused you because some fusible links do resemble that) By the way, A lot of people consider fusible links to be dangerous and an inadequate shortcut to installing a standard fuse or circuit breaker.

Picture of a Fusible Link
    [​IMG]

-Jer

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

They are available at Pep-Boys and Advanced Auto. I found them in the fuse section. I believe the manufacturer is Little Fuse IIRC.

The brass slip on tap-a-fuse's just looked like a rig job to me. These allow the full protection of the original circuit, and then allows you to fuse whatever you tap at a seperate amp rating.

Great for the switched 12V for plows, radar detectors, cell phone car hookups, CB's etc. I wouldn't go more than 15 amp on them though.

I think Waytech wire (forget the link) had them online, if you view my pic, you can visit the company I hotlinked the pic from.

11. Waytek was it

Here is the link to Waytek:

www.waytekwire.com

From the toolbar click Products..fuses..ATO/ATC Fuse holders.
    Sorry the complete link didn't work when I tested it after posting.

Thanks TLS for the name!