1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kentucky Snow Pros

Discussion in 'Weather' started by rubidriver, Dec 20, 2014.

1. rubidriver

rubidriver Junior Member
    from west ky

Thought I'd start a thread for us guys down south. I'm wondering how many in Ky have started using brine?

2. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

we don't get much snow around here last few years its gotten a little better

3. rubidriver

rubidriver Junior Member
    from west ky

No, we don't get much snow, but it does a lot of freezing rain and sleet. Are you using any brine?

4. Malco

Malco Junior Member

It is nice to see a thread started for those of us in Ky. If for nothing more than some local camaraderie. I've been a stalker to the Ohio thread for years, those guys seem very knowledgeable and informative, however their weather is a lot different than ours.
    Brine usage in the northern part of the state is scarce, but seems to be gaining in popularity. I myself have done a small amount of research but as of yet failed to pull the trigger.
    By the way, this is my first post, sorry if my formatting is off.:waving:

5. rubidriver

rubidriver Junior Member
    from west ky

I'm down in the western part of the state and our weather is different than the Louisville area too. It would be nice to just get snow without all the freezing rain first. Sure would make my life easier. I'm making brine with a calcium mix. Started with Bare Ground last year. That crap is expensive! Built my own brine maker because I'm cheap like that.

6. Malco

Malco Junior Member

In my opinion, one of the reasons liquids are not as popular in my region(as far as a pre-treatment) is because a lot of our snows start off as rain.
    Barry

7. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

That, and the fact that most of our snows are heavy and wet, way too much moisture content for liquids to work effectively on a consistent basis.

8. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

No I haven't and I haven't seen anyone in my area using any either

9. Malco

Malco Junior Member

Good point!

10. Malco

Malco Junior Member

Anybody hear of any action in the near future for our area?
    I'm starting to get a little bored!

11. rubidriver

rubidriver Junior Member
    from west ky

I'm going all out this year, carrying 500 gal brine and 2500# salt. Got one very large customer that requested brine. About 12 acres.

12. 98Chevy2500

Nothing/little till at least end of next week....temps starting to drop

13. Malco

Malco Junior Member

The only consolation I can think of to this winters lack of snow so far is the possibility of the big salt companies choking on a little bit of their overpriced salt!
    What's your thoughts? Just thinking!

14. rubidriver

rubidriver Junior Member
    from west ky

I'm not worried yet myself. There are still 10-11 weeks of possible bad weather ahead. I doubt the salt companies care that much. They have already sold a bunch at the higher prices, and the little guys get hammered the most.

15. Malco

Malco Junior Member

My thought was with weak snow totals that they would have to sit on a bunch, especially with so much being imported.

P.s. I agree that there is still a lot of winter left, I was just trying to stir up some chatter!

16. 98Chevy2500

Guess ROY didn't need to import after all, last I heard his ship had not come into port yet....

17. 98Chevy2500

Yep, we generally get our heaviest snows jan - march, sometimes into april. Ground is too warm right now for much to stick.

18. Malco

Malco Junior Member

Maybe next week guys! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

19. rubidriver

rubidriver Junior Member
    from west ky

We had some flurries this am, almost covered the ground and roads, then it quit. Mondays forecast looks promising and the very cold temps now will prompt some work I hope.

20. Malco

Malco Junior Member

As Yukon Cornelius would say.....uhm, nothin!