1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kentucky boy needing a little help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by crazyaaron, Oct 14, 2014.

1. crazyaaron

crazyaaron Junior Member

So i have been patiently waiting the dark on this web site just reading as much as i can and trying to figure out as much as i can with out having to ask questions but the time has come for me to start asking them.

I am new to plowing and i own a 2012 5.7liter 4x4 1500 dodge ram i am looking at getting a snoway 22 series plow for my truck with a spreader as well. My question for the commercial property that i have picked up i have gave them a price for 130 -150$ an hr for plowing and throwing some salt down is that a good price for the area i am in? Kentucky average snow fall is 12.5 inches and i know that is a lot less than most of the people states on here.

2nd question i have a guy that is offering me 1 ton of salt for 200$ and i can order as much as i want is that a good price? and also i know the recommended amount of salt is 1 ton an acre is that a season or a storm most of our snows average 1-5 inches and its usually on the lighter side of that. also i was wondering if that 1 ton an acre is for most of the northeast or everywhere?

Last thing if you were in my shoes should my bidding be differently than a price per hr or should i go with a total year price and a 12.5 inch max anything over is more?

Thanks for any and all help sorry for the questions i know most of the veterans have to answer this same stuff all the time i just want to do the industry right and not under bid it.

Aaron.

2. crazyaaron

crazyaaron Junior Member

bump i see 38 people read 0 respond to much at one time?

3. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Shoot me a PM and I'll try to help

4. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Ur way off on your salt usage. Its 750 lbs per acre. You want to have a variety of hourly per push and seasonal.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And your truck will take a Snoway 26.

6. crazyaaron

crazyaaron Junior Member

thanks harleyjeff for the help i had a typo and i meant to say 26. and Fannin 750 lbs per acre is that per storm? and i saw the post under mine about what a push and he was asking for help on how to calculate a accurate charge for business. i will look further into that thread as well. obviously what people get charged in IL,or MI is way different than in KY right??

7. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Per storm. To me per push is each time I'm there. Some people say a push is per storm. But if u get a 6 inch storm and ur trigger is 2 inches then you could realisticly plow there 2-3 times per storm.

8. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

They are more than likely in another state, Like I'm in CT.

Prices vary from state to state and within the state.

A lot that I might charge $1,500 for the season, you go 1 hour around the New haven area and they are getting $2,500 or $3,000
    Heads towards Mass and they are getting $800 to $1,000.

Same thing on per storm, I might charge $250 for every 2-3.9 inches and new haven they are getting $450.

You need someone from your state and area that's been plowing to give you figures.

There is also another way, call up bigger company and ask them how much they would pay you to sub with them.

If they are paying say $50 an hour, then figure the property is getting charged between $100 to $200 an hour, that's a rough est.

Another way is figure your operating costs to get what you need to make per hour to break even then add in what you want to make for profit.

Salting is an additional price on top of plowing -(I would shop around $200 a ton sounds high, here we can get it for $110 each shot and if we buy it in bulk that price drops a little.

So rough est here.

1-1.9 salting event $75
    2-3.9 plow $100, salt $75 =$175
    4-6.9 plow $200, salt $75 =$275

so you charge $100 everytime you drop your plow and push snow, then add in the salting.

Remember you base your price on your operating figures so you don't lose money. And then you add in what you want to make for profit.
    Salting is the icing on the cake.

Good luck

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No you should be looking at a 26 series for your truck.

10. crazyaaron

crazyaaron Junior Member

I appreciate the help i will shop for prices on the salt for sure. and i will call some of the local company's and see what they would pay like you said i ball parked 150 an hr and sidewalks would be extra and the office complex seemed to be good with price didn't fight me to much on that.

11. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

One more thing, if you only get 12 to 13 inches of snow a year factor in the cost of a new plow and how long it will take you to start making money.

You might be better off buying used, just make sure there is shop nearby that can service it.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The price of snowplowing in a area with 12/14 inches should be HIGH, better then twice what the Snowbelt guys are getting.
    allegorically

a $1000 plow moves 50 inches a year based on a 5 year deprecation the plow cost 4 dollars per inch of snow moved.

a $1000 plow moves 12 inches a year based on a 5 year deprecation the plow cost 16.66 dollars per inch of snow moved.

13. crazyaaron

crazyaaron Junior Member

wow thanks for the help basher/mssnowplowing i will look into the price i am giving people and figure in what you have said. i do appreciate the help if any one else has anything else to help out a rookie i would love to hear what you have to say..

14. Jet Stream

Jet Stream Junior Member

Hi! I can give you a no obligation quote for salt. Just need delivery address with zip and email. Good luck in your new venture!