1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kelly Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jadyejr, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Hey I just got a new set of Kelly Tires for my 2500, and I really like them... Does anyone else run Kelly? I was going to go with the BFG but really liked these, and they seem to do decent traction wise, just wondering how they will do wear wise.....

2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Which tire is it?

3. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Trail Marks....

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Have had Kelly Safari's AWRs on one of my trucks for a few years now, they've been ok... the wear could be better but the truck is also a dually dump so they scrub alot and carry a lot of weight doing so... Personally I think there are better tires on the market but they were really well priced when I needed rubber...

FWIW, Kelly makes tires for Goodyear....

5. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Goodyear owns Kelly-Springfield.

6. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I have owned 2 different sets of Kellys on 2 different trucks and I did not care for either set. I would never buy a set again FWIW.
    I have on the other hand run BFG ATs, Goodyears, General Grabber ATs, Grabber MTs, and now running a set of General Grabber AT2s (copy of BFG ATs). All of them have been better than the Kellys and wore better. And yes I plowed snow with all of them. SO far the BFGs and the most recent AT2s have been the best I have run.

7. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

i work for a dealer ship in mass in we have SOME ppl come in with kellys some that request we put a set on there, if they really want them fine ill do it but they know i do not warrenty any part of them cupping even with regular rotations, ive had some not so good experiences with em. personally a good tire in A TON of sizes is a general grabber at 2 (fyi its an almost clone of the bfg alterrain, its studdable, and its owl) i just p;ut 235-8516's and they were super easy to mount and balance i was really happy with them

8. derekbroerse

I should also mention that one of the reasons I bought my set was because they were available in the oddball size I needed---LT255/85R16. Not many companies make it.

9. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

That is an oddball size, what is it a narrow 33"?

10. derekbroerse

Basically, yes. Truck is lifted some... looked stupid with 235/85s. Most 33's are too wide for clearance on the duals, even these required a spacer. What ticked me off was that several companies listed the size I wanted so I ordered the spacer to suit, then it turned out the only ones that actually MAKE that size were the Kelly AWR and BFG Mud Terrains. BFGs were twice the price and have no siping. I took the AWRs. I also cut one once on a hunk of steel, and they were discontinued... but lo and behold I found a dealer on ebay with some in stock, my size.... clearance priced at I think $80 each! Bought a new pair and kept my old ones for spares... (even the cut one, remounted it on a beater wheel with a tube, figured in an extreme emergency I could finish plowing a night on it....!! :p)