1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keeping sand in v box if it's covered?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GSS LLC, Sep 11, 2012.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I'm getting a 77 Ford single axle with a 6 yard Sander in it. I'm thinking, if I have a good tight fitting cover made for it, I could route the exhaust to the sander to warm it up ad I drive. Could I leave the sander filed and ready to go?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Never tried or heard of routing the exhaust to the vbox. But without that..NOPE.

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Never. Sand always seems to be wet which makes a HUGE ice cube that is elevated of the ground so the cold and wind can set in if not stored in a heated shop.

4. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Years ago we had 2 trucks that we ran the exhaust through the sander and it worked great but we kept it inside at night but the garage wasn't heated after about 20 minutes of driving time the sand was nice and warm. Been thinking about doing it to the truck I picked up last year but it's stainless and I'm not sure if I want to cut holes in it.

5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

What's the difference between my sand pile on the ground, covered by a tarp, and sand sitting in my sander covered with a tarp?
    My sand pile doesn't freeze.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes but be careful if you have too tight a radius in the plumbing it will restrict back pressure

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

True. I just don't understand how a pile of sand sitting on the ground won't freeze, but you put that same sand in a sander, it will freeze.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It can/will...at least when its on the ground you can break it up with the bucket some before you put it in the spreader. Let it freeze up around the auger real good and see how that works out for you.

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

It's called wind chill. The wind cannot get underneath/between the pile on the ground. The sand in your spreader which is elevated in your truck with more surface area exposed and a smaller quantity will freeze, starting at the bottom of the spreader where the smallest amount is.

You can always try it. It will be lots of fun. Please post pictures. :)

Not quite as easy as salt in a spreader and a couple of jugs of windshield washer fluid to help get it flowing either.