1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keeping rear quarter windows fogfree?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by peterk800xc, Dec 16, 2007.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Just back from 8 hours of plowing and for some reason I can't keep the rear quarter windows in my 04 Silverado from fogging or getting moisture on them so I can see out of them.I have run the defrost on high but these windows won't stay clear unless I stop and open the rear doors and wipe them clean with a cloth.Anyone have any good ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have noticed that too. What I have found tho is that if the back window is in the wind. ( the wind is hitting the window it wont thaw. Happened to me this morning. It was a pita trying to see out the window. What I did then was change my directon of travel so the front of the truck was going into the wind and it thawed right out! What else I noticed is that the rear defoger is on a timer or something because it shuts off after a while. (I have a 04 gmc)

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Clean 'em and Rain-X 'em.

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

If you go into a store that sells alot fo saftey gear, especially safety glasses, there are these wipe cloths that are "antifogging" I work with alot of HOT water at work, and we use these alot on our glasses. They for up when your over the hot water, but as soon as you move away, they instantly go clear again. I dont know who makes them off hand, but I will look tonight when I go to work. I used one on my back windows on my truck, and never have a problem.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It stinks. You can only help the situation out by keeping the inside windows clean. I've tried the rain-x fog stuff - not worth the money. The NBS chevy has some vents or something behind the back seats in my crew cab - this last snow storm I had only 20% fog on the back two side windows. It was awesome! What you need is air flow.

6. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Run your AC when the heater is on, this will dry out air in the cab. I do it all the time, you still get hot air out of the vents. :drinkup::drinkup:

Steve

7. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I noticed the same thing in my Chevy and Dodge crew cabs, the back and passenger rear windows fog up, making it a pain ine the arse to see. Best solution I found was to keep your fan running at a medium speed, pulling in outside air, and having the rear two windows cracked about 1/2 inch. This will let enough of the warm humid air out that you should have no problem at all.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I run my front defroster all the time. It heats the cab and melts the snow as it comes up and over the top of the plows deflector

9. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

The problem comes from any snow, ice, or even just really cold water on the outside of the window causes moisture in the cab (mostly from us breathing) to condense where the air isn't circulating well enough... usually the back window and rear quarter windows. Thats why you need to keep them cracked a little bit so that air will circulate, along with having your front defroster on.

10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

A 12 volt accessory fan mounted to blow warm air from the front onto the back windows could help, maybe placed on the rear floorboard. I've always kept one for the work trucks I've driven over the years for this reason. If you have lots of items stored behind and under the seat, it may help with air circulation, to remove what you can. Remove as much snow/moisture from your self (shake off hat, coat, boots) before getting back into the truck. Go with the other suggestions also, keep windows clean and treated with anti fog.

Try this. I read it recently but haven't tried it. Put a couple ounces of white vinegar into a quart of hot water and wipe your windows down with that (after cleaning thoroughly).

11. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Just crack the front windows open. I usually have mine just under the rain guard, if not all the way done, and no problems with fog. JMO

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

13. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Thanks to all for their replies.

Thanks to all for the help.I am going to try some of these tricks to see how it goes.

14. brian79z

brian79z Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Try this cheap, easy remedy.

Use a bar of soap, and scribble in the inside of the glass. Then buff the window until it is clear with a clean dry washrag. This will prevent condensation from sticking to the glass.

Try it in your bathroom on your shower mirror, then take a shower. The mirror will be clear of all condensation and you'll be sold on the concept. (nice way to write messages on the mirror too!)

I've been doing this on my truck windows for awhile. Once you get rid of the original "frozen overnight frost/fog", the rest of the day will be clear.

15. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I think the pattern you use for applying the soap is to A) not drop it and B) scribble words like 'ooops you backed up too far and that sign is gonna cost ya'.

just/kidding - Bwahahahhaahahahah

16. SNAKE85

SNAKE85 Junior Member

I had the same problem with my extended cab. Especially when the snow was changing to sleet or freezing rain. Bought a cheapy 12v auxiliary fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter for $10. Rigged up a mounting bracket to attach to the clothes hook behind the drivers seat, aimed it across the back window and urethra.:D:D No more fogging up the back window.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You guys have to keep this a secret, O.K.

I'm a diver we use this stuff called
    "Sea-Drops"
    You can find it at any dive shop.
    We use it to keep our dive masks clear when we dive in Lake Superior.

I have been using it on my side and rear windows for years
    It works better than rain-x fog 4x.easy..

18. HBT

HBT Junior Member
    from se mich

Here's another trick. Put some dish soap on a clean rag and wipe it on your windows(after cleaning them first of course). Keep rubbing it till it is clear. We started doing this with our glasses while deer hunting so they wouldn't fog from breathing. It really works good for us.

19. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

There are many reasons for windows fogging up 2 main reasons are moisture and out gassing of plastics and upholstry

There are many ways to alleviate these problems

Outside Process

First you need to clean the windows really well with Glass Cleaner Make sure if you have tinted windows like I do that you use tint safe cleaner. I use Maguires Detail Line
    I payed $12.00 for a gallon jug that makes approximately 50 gallons

Next I use glass polish on the outside (Poorboys polish with sealant) this makes them really clean and prevents build-up of dirt and repels water.

Inside Process

Mix 2oz of white vinegar and 1 quart of hot water in bowl.

Saturate lint free cloth in mixture (I use Microfiber Towels made specifically for glass).

Wring excess moisture from cloth.

Wipe windows and mirrors with cloth.

Let dry.

When plowing use your a/c as having that on will reduce the moisture in the cab.

Hope this helps...

Jason

20. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

that's part of it, right there. You're just wiping around whatever grime or other pollutants have built up on the glass, chances are if you looked the next time they fogged up you'd be able to see exactly where you wiped the fog off. Make sure they are really clean and use one of the many products some of the other guys suggested to help reduce condensation.

-Jer