1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping my route tight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chesterlawn, Jan 6, 2011.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I got back into plowing about 4 years ago and decided to take a different approach. I used to take any job almost anywhere, I guess I had more energy back then. Now the farthest I go north is 3 miles, the farthest south 2 miles, and east and west about 2 miles each way, I've turned down jobs out of that range I used to shovel or snowblow walkways, and in front of the garage doors, no more. No more salt either, I don't get out of my truck unless I want to stretch. I tell my customers this up front and I have had 0 complaints and many compliments. My route takes me less than 5 hours and I make a little over $1400 each plowing, I know some wont believe me, because I see what some expect to make an hour, but it's the truth. I just do residential,I live in a good area, and charge $25 to $125 per drive and I plow 1 private road. I'm enjoying doing it this way alot more.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

X2... for a single plower a tight resi rout is where the money is Get a Jeep and you will be able to increase your number of houses. :)

3. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I have the tight route one truck business model and the money is in residential for me. I will be literally littering the current neighborhoods I'm in next year. If I get the contracts I expect, I will be seriously looking to get a jeep with a v plow.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I dont get out of my truck either...close route and alot of resi work is the way to go

5. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

same boat as you guys. had two trucks last year and wasn't worth it. My route is more in a straight line instead of a central location with a small radius. end to end 8 miles but never more then a few houses between stops. In the truck the whole time.

6. ColoradoProWash

ColoradoProWash Junior Member

I think your method is very good. We provide our other services all over Colorado but since we are a small snow plowing company we are trying to stick to a smaller route as well. I think it's also important to try and network with people within your state so you guys can trade off work.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

tight route is the way to go. mine is more spread out than i would like it to be but over the next few years i hope to gain more busisness closer to my current route

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I wish I could have all my customers in one area. Here in the rural areas, you have to take what you can get.

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i don't necessarily look at it from a "tight route" perspective. i look at it from a dollar per hour perspective. naturally, keeping a tight route eliminates driving time and increases the $/hour ratio. however, if i can get enough money for an "outlier" from my route, i will take it if it satisfies my $/hr requirement when travel time is added.

10. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

My resi. Route is tight but my comercial accounts are almost 20 miles awayfrom them, sometimes I really dread doing it.I like plowing but man do I need to make a change

11. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I believe you because I do exactly the same thing. I overall do a little less than you because I have a job and have to be at work at 8:30 a.m. every week day morning snow or shine. When I retire I plan on doing a little more plowing. Maybe?

RPK

12. barrybro

barrybro Junior Member

How many do you do?

13. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

Two commercial lots. One residential apartment complex. Eight residential driveways and a few freebies. It takes me less than three hours on a typical one push storm. I get $525.00 I only get out of the truck once to open a gate if it was not left open. My customers are all real close together. I usually use about 1/4 tank of fuel. I have been plowing several of my customers for 38 years. No contracts, No questions No problems. I have an understanding with all of my customers that if they didn't think there was enough snow to plow and I plowed their driveway then I wouldn't charge them. So far I have always been paid. If it an't broke don't fix it.