1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping it charged

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Vinnie, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I,ve seen a few guys ask about keeping batteries charged and had to point out another option. When I bought my 2002 ford I purchased a Ford Auxillary Powertrain Idle Controller . I can set the volts I want to maintain or I could set different RPM,s to hold . Its great when I pull the fifth wheel camper . I pre set it to hold 13.0 volts while I run the landing gear up or down or when we pull over for a rest. It only works when the parking break is on and the oil is warm enough so theres no risk of it trying to high idle before the oil circulates. Ive seen these on ebay a lot so I know there easily available. I believe this works on 99-04 fords , but newer trucks have something similar built in. Just my two cents:drinkup:

1b46_1[1].jpg

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Thanks B&B:D I just sent that link to my brother in western new york. He was looking for something for his bowtie:nod:

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help Vinnie. Like I said they do work great and their avalible for a lot of different application's. I had one on my TBI equipped 89 Chevy.

5. HoneyDooYrdWrk

HoneyDooYrdWrk Junior Member

does anyoe know if this would work for a 96, 6.5L K2500, or if they know of something simmilar to make the truck idle u for battery purposes and to keep the engine a bit warmer for my cold a** when i get in the truck

thanks
    ian

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I dont think offroad enginering make's one for the GM 6.5TD. I haven't found anybody that does....yet. But I'll keep looking as their's alot of those 6.5's out there.

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

vinnie does that aux idle control just plug in or was there wire splicing involved?

8. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

There is a plug under the dash so it only takes a minute to plug it in. I took some pics of mine this morning cause I was to lazy to go outside last night:)

100_0819.jpg

9. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I'm semi stupid when it comes to accessories...What does that do again?

10. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Helps if you read above!:dizzy:

11. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

It allows you to set up to four pre determined rpm ranges or voltage ranges. I use it to keep the volts at 13 while I use the truck batteries to run my camper . If you do a lot of plowing its a great way to keep the batteries fully charged . The guy that told me about it used his when he ran his wrecker . He would set the rpm to what he wanted while he used the wheel lift.

12. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Youre killing me smalls , youre killing me lmao!

13. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

"I REFUSE to have a battle of wits...with an un-armed person!"Author Unknown