1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keeping employees warm in below Zero temps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by areoseek, Jan 6, 2014.

1. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

Just wondering if any of you guys put a time limit on outdoor time for your employees. Windchill here is -35 and frostbite is supposed to set in, in under ten minutes. Some sidewalks we do take a good half hour, so i've run into this. Problem. Any feedback?
  2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like 10 minutes..
    Work till you need a break , keep all skin covered
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The guys should be able to dress for it. Most important add on to outfit is face masks. They put on layers, winter boots, hats, gloves, mittens or mittens over gloves and a face mask...they should be sweating in no time.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My teams ready.

5. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

Well obviously they have layers, just worried about face and hands. Ive heard mittens from a surprising amount of people, why replace gloves with mittens?
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Because all your fingers are together to keep them warm.
  7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This x2! :nod:

Yup. Because nothing beats body heat. Mittens are WAY better
  8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Have not had to enforce this rule for 10 yrs. Below 10 degrees and 30 min max with 10 min break. On our large properties , drivers are instructed to keep an eye on walk and snow blowers workers, workers are instructed to flag down a driver if difficulty. All personal carry a flashing beacon they can turn on.

We also carry spare winter wear in trucks, along with food and drinks, in this weather our most important people are our sidewalk crews!
  9. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

The most important thing with layering is NO cotton at all. Synthetic or wool only. A cotton t-shirt as your first layer with synthetic on top will still have you freezing in no time.
  10. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Mittens with hot hands heat packs work awesome! I leave a box of hot hands in each truck.
  11. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I learn something every day.

We worked out in all day today. High of 1 with wind chills to -35. 10 mins in it and we were ok. Past that and it got cold FAST.
  12. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

Our contracts have an extreme circumstance clause and in this cold it falls into that clause. We do not put employees on walks with wind chills this low. Safety is a top concern of ours.
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good idea. Who else is going to be walking around? I almost laughed at a guy last year that asked when we were going to do the public sidewalks, because it was windy and very cold. We had already done them once. He just wasn't very observant I guess haha
  14. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

Ended up bypassing the walks for tonight. Hopefully my residentials will understand. On a side note: Walmart doesn't carry mittens up here. just hunting gloves.
  15. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

We had no issues or complaints from any clients through this storm over it. We explain it at time of contract signing.
  16. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

while i don't have contracts this is a "clause" i use as well.

being solo i can't afford to get ill for any reason or no one would get anything done by me.

i do what i can with staying in the truck and the outside stuff will wait until it gets "warmer".

like another poster said. who's gonna be walking on those sidewalks when it's that cold anyway?