1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keepin a skid steer busy

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by grassguy123, Apr 23, 2011.

1. grassguy123

grassguy123 Junior Member
    from NJ

I bought a used skid steer 80 hp with a box pusher I'm gona use for snow services next year on one of my parking lots.

I want to keep it busy for the summer. I don't do patios or any of that stuf, I really have no use for it besides snow. Id like to take sub contractor work from general contractors. But I'm trying to figure out what feature of a skid steer is most needed.

Which attachment do u think will give me the most value(the most sub contracts)
    -loader
    -excavator attachment
    -trencher attachment
    -vibratory plate
    -or something else

What is a skid steer in most demand for?
    I live in NJ

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

post hole auger and a tooth bucket, offer general dirt services, yard grading, and post holes. this is what 90% of what our skids do in the off season, the other 10% is misc and sweeping

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Rockhound, or Harley rake.

Bossman

4. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I would suggest, besides a standard bucket, a set of forks and a grade bar. Forks work great for tearing out driveways. Get under the edge of the concrete or blacktop and lift and drop. Grade bar for general yard grading.

5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Forks are a must. We use ours for just about everything though. Split firewood, lawn installs, moving pallets, snow, loading mulch. I would think prior to purchasing extra attachments I would talk to some contractors to see if they need any subs. Otherwise, maybe just a craigslist ad or something to drum up extra work? Don't know if it would help as I have never tried an ad there, but it is worth a shot.

6. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

I'd suggest renting attachments as needed at first. See what your customer base (as you build it) demands more of. I'd rank the attachments as follows by their cost-usefulness. Buckets (smooth and tooth) Forks, Auger, Breaker, harley rake/soil conditioner/rockhound. Most of the other attachments work great but are not required often enough to justify purchase if this is not your main business.

7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea why not just rent the attachments for now ? where are you located in NJ ?

8. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

any of you guys run an add on craigslist for this kind of thing? i am in a very similar situation. I bought one this past fall and it was great in the winter for the snow and now i would love to find like one weekend a month worth of work to keep it paying the bills.

9. blk90s13

10. contractor078

nice thanks for the reply. i think that i may do that. put an ad up on craigslist that is. i was fortunate enough that i was able to pay for my machine out right and don't have a payment on it so its not costing me money but it would be great if it were making me money. I have a set of forks and a tooth bucket for it. I really want to get a Kage plow for it for the winter.

11. blk90s13

Nice I am on the hunt for a set of forks and a snow box my machine is older but beats having payments :salute:

12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes when you own machines that make enough money in winter, you'll let them rest during the off season. To chase for small jobs here and there I found isn't worth it.

13. contractor078

hey that is a good point. like i had said no payments which is awesome! just be nice to try to pick up a few odd jobs here and there to make some money with it.

14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

There is a local guy that posts on craigslist all the time looking for bobcat work. Not sure if he drums up any business or not. He is always advertised at $50/hr for bobcat work. Not sure if he runs a minimum or not. I can see driving to someone's house and doing a job that takes 20-30 min and them expecting to pay you $25. Yeah! He can have it, we are busy enough trying to keep up with the rain.

My point here is if you try the craigslist ad, make sure you are clear on whatever minimum charge you have. For a home owner to rent one they are going to have $150-200 IF they have a trailer and truck that can pull it. Just some things to think about. I am sure you already have though.