1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keep zapping relays

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pipelayer, May 5, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

hey all, just a quick question here, i bought some wiring off a buddys ford to put on to mine, ran it on my straight blade, everything worked, but the blinkers, turned out to be the fuse. so i installed everything on to my truck, correctly, (did this at the fisher dealer a time or two lol) now, each time i hook up to my plow, mainly to move it on my property being its spring, i was able to use it once, then now, i get nothing but a click on the relay. its not plow side, the plow was used and worked all winter, and worked once my truck was wired. i swapped the relay with an extra, and it worked again.. once. i cleaned the grounds, swapped my controller, nothing. power into the relay, none out. my next step is to change the power harness with an extra i have... any thoughts?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I know u said u cleaned the grounds, I would double check the eyelet, cables, everything.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If you have power into relay and hear a click but nothing out your relay is junk. What relay are you using?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Having it work "once" usually indicates that to many amps flow through and fries it OR connections are bad.

5. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I'm using the fisher/western relay. And that's what I was thinking that either somewhere down the line it's drawing too many amps, or has a bad ground somewhere. Idk why it would draw too many Amps though, being that everything plow side worked just fine with this relay all winter long, it's one season old

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Corrosion starts anytime, anywhere.

7. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I took it out of the truck, cause I sold it. It's been in my garage and looks clean. This is the 2nd relay ...

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Try jumping the relay and see what happens

9. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

how would i jump the relay out connected to my battery?

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Does this have relay pack or ISO mod

11. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

regular 4 post self grounding fisher relay, grounds thru the harness i always assumed.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

The harness I meant. Is it an iso setup or old relay style

13. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

sorry i didnt know what you mean, its the 4 port iso module, with the harness that goes to the relay and also feeds the power harness. its not the old 2 plug relay style wiring in the truck.

14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

so your motor relay is under the hood. to jump it, would mean to short across the two big posts (with the plow hooked up), which bypasses the relay. the plow motor should run as long as you jump across those posts. if the motor still doesn't run, then there is some other problem (bad motor, bad battery cable). If the motor does run, then either the relay is bad, or it's not being 'told' to close by some other problem (hooked up wrong, bad control, something else bad in the wiring).

15. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

If jumping the relay does not work hook up an alternate ground wire to see if your ground is bad, to do this just make up a wire with eyelets on each end, one end goes to the solenoid where the black/orange wire is and the other end to the neg. terminal on the battery. I had an issue similar to yours this winter, don't remember if I was getting the click from the solenoid or not but it came down to there must have been a break in the harness in the ground wire somewhere because the alternate ground wire solved the problem and is still working.