1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keep plow in good condition

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 96f250, Dec 18, 2006.

1. 96f250

96f250 Member

Does anyone have any tips/ways to keep the plow n best of conditions since it will be out side all year??

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Cover it to keep it from exposure to UV rays. Even if you just prop a sheet of plywood against it. Put the moldboard and jackstand on pallets or a board to keep them off the ground. Wash it good; then sand down and paint any chips in the paint that have gone through to bare metal. If not through to the metal, just use touch up paint. Fill hydraulics to keep moisture from the interior of pump and rams. Coat the exposed parts of the rams with grease. If you use something like a "blue poly" or tarp to cover the plow, make sure it's not touching the metal on plow and that there is ventilation to prevent trapping moisture. Protect the ends of the harness from moisture (both the plow and truck side). Inspect the harness connections for any wear/damage and repair to prevent rusting/corrosion.

3. Wd 40 Once A Month On Everything!! It Will Keep It Nice!

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Mick said it all, except i'd spray the entire thing with Fluid Film before I covered it. I mean everything, seals electric connections, protects from rust, great stuff.

5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Fluid film might be rough on rubber products. Fluid film has made that claim. I know it is a great product.

6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

When you say grease the rams, what type of grease is safe with the rubber seals?

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Never thought about it, I guess. For storing outside during the summer, I don't think a thin coat of plain grease would hurt. My point was to keep the exposed part of the angle/lift cylinders protected from moisture. Even if the rubber seal did crack, I'd rather replace a seal than have the cylinder rusted.

Just to clarify, I should have said "cylinders" instead of "rams". But apparently everybody knew what I meant. I was probably using the wood splitter that day and "ram" came to mind since they're similar.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

From the Fluid Film web site

" Fluid Film® has no adverse effects on plastics or synthetic rubber. On 100% natural rubber, some swelling can occur."