1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keep losing power steering & brake boost

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bswalks, Feb 16, 2013.

1. bswalks

bswalks Member

Hi all.
    This site has been great for info. I'm hoping for some more help.
    I've got a 2005 hd2500 with about 100k miles. I recently got the truck stuck during a snow storm. While trying to get unstuck, I heard something metal break. I felt it in the steering wheel & brake pedal. It was like a chatter or slight vibration I felt, & it went away as the rpm's of the motor decreased.
    Once I got unstuck, I had no power steering or brake boost. I had initially replaced the power steering pump 6 months ago, that one started leaking & very loud from the start, so I replaced it again 2 months ago.
    Well I figured I burned that pump up getting unstuck so I had my mechanic put another one in. That fixed the problem for about 50 miles, and then lost my steering & brake boost again, temporarily. The next day, all was good, and I drove the truck an entire day.
    I had already made an appointment at another shop to install a brake booster, figuring my check valve in that was causing the intermittent issues.
    Well that lasted a few days, off & on & I'm back to the same issue. No steering, I mean none! And no brake boost.
    Any ideas? Can all these power steering pumps be bad? I may try another parts store but the odds of all these pumps being defective? Idk
    Also, I have replaced the cooler & all lines.
    Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give as much detail as possible

2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

If they're coming from the same store they could be from a single bad manufacturing run, but I would start looking for another cause...maybe a bent bracket so the belt puts abnormal forces on the bearings?
  3. bswalks

bswalks Member

theholycow, thanks for the response.
    Yes, they are coming from the same store. Replaced under warranty. I'll look at the serpentine belt to check for odd wear. But would that explain that it would work properly for 4-5 days?
    My next step is to look at the steering box.
    One more question ill ask.
    Is the power steering cap supposed to vent excess pressure?
    Today when it started acting up, I took the cap off to check fluid, heard a lot of air escaping & the fluid was aerated. I sucked out the fluid, refilled & purged air while I had the front end jacked up. Still no good.
  4. beano

beano Member

Maybe your hydroboost which is attached to the power steering pump.
  5. bswalks

bswalks Member

Thanks for the reply beono.
    So far I have replaced the booster, power steering pump, cooler & all lines.
    I did a google search on the issue I'm having & from reading about it, the same thing has happened to others.
    I figured replacing the pump & booster would fix the problem.
    Getting frustrated.
  6. bswalks

bswalks Member

Ya know I just don't understand it.
    Now that the truck has cooled down for a few hours, it's fine again.
    The fluid was a little low, I topped it off & took it around the block. Steering pump whined a little at first, but went away. Steering & brakes ok.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Part of me thinks that you have a fluid flow issue either caused by a failing pump or somewhere else in the lines.

The initial whine is usually associated with low fluid, so it's almost like the pump initially wasn't able to grab any fluid to pump.

Could there be an air lock somewhere?

I'm really no expert on power steering pumps or hydro boost systems though, just thinking out loud.
  8. bswalks

bswalks Member

Thanks for your reply White Gardens.
    Ya the randomness of this happening sure seems like it could be getting air in the system, but how?
    Initially I thought maybe I pinched the lines from the cooler(that's the only repair I did myself). But if that were the case, I'm thinking it wouldn't be random.

Like I had said initially, I drove the truck for several days with no problems. Once I put the plow on for the first time today, I had problems in a couple hours. Could the extra weight of the plow or the plow blocking the cooler cause the power steering system to get too hot??? Idk just thinking anything at this point
  9. White Gardens

what about the steering box? is ther any fluid leaking from it? if the pump is fine I'm wondering if there is an issue with the steering box causing your problem.

10. White Gardens

I was just looking at arfc.org and it seems to be almost a common problem in these trucks.

One complaint said they replacd a pressure relief valve in the system, and another said there was a nitrogen canister in the hydroboost that ruptured.

I would say its a check valve if it's random.

11. bswalks

bswalks Member

Hey White Gardens. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
    The check valve is part of the booster, so that should be good. Never heard of a nitrogen canister, I'll have to check that out. Idk if that's part of the booster.
    Thanks again
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you explain that?

bs - have you replaced any of the lines? You could have a bad rubber line acting like a check valve. Also, flushing all the lines and the box would be a good idea. Finally, most pumps have a specific fill and bleed procedure. Read them and follow closely. Mounting a pump, adding some fluid, starting the engine, and topping off the fluid is a great way to destroy a brand new pump.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  13. bswalks

bswalks Member

Thanks for your response. Yes I have replaced all the lines, the cooler, pump & booster.
    The only rubber lines are attached to the cooler. I'm going to check to see if either of them got pinched when I installed it.
    Ya bleeding these pretty simple. Jack up front need, add fluid & with motor off, turn wheel, pump brake. Repeat few times, then still with weight off wheels, start truck add fluid...
    Thanks again
  14. bswalks

bswalks Member

Just had the truck out plowing for half an hour. Other than the pump being loud, it drove fine.
    I don't understand this damn thing
  15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

2COR517 I think meant a rubber hose that just goes bad in 1 spot causing a pinched line that you might not notice and will cause a loss of fluid flowing through the line,usually depending on whether the fluid is cold or hot.It happens sometimes to old flexible brake hoses,won't let brake fluid return and brake pads,shoes will get burned up.I thought you said you replaced all the lines though.
  16. bswalks

bswalks Member

Thanks tuney443.
    Ya, I have replaced all the lines.
    I'm taking truck back to mechanic that put the booster in last week.
    I have no patience to fix this myself. I'm just looking for advice to point him in the right direction
  17. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

Since you broke something in the system and you replaced everything except the steering box its possible you have metal crap in your steering gear that cycles through the system now and then , like it will sink to the bottom when truck is off and then eventually get sucked up and pumped through . not sure just throwing that out there .
  18. bswalks

bswalks Member

Thanks gmcdan, I did think of that & mentioned it to the mechanic I had looking at it. He seemed to think that what I broke was in power steering pump since what I felt was in the wheel & brake pedal, & went away when the engine rpm decreased. Also that of it were the steering box, it would happen all the time.
    He seemed to think that if it were the box, it would happen all the time.
    What he ended up doing today, is suck out the power steering fluid & put in synthetic atf.
    If that doesn't work, gonna have to dig into the box
  19. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Hope to you are not wasting time with junk aftermarket pumps , beacuse this is what happens every time.
  20. bswalks

bswalks Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes. They are aftermarket. I've been getting them at a descent parts store, but I'm thinking its the pumps. Brand is called A1 cardone.
    I tried googling that brand to see if they've had issues, but haven't found out much about them.
    So what do you think? Just get a genuine GM?