1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keep it or sell it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Holland, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Looking for a little input. Ive got an 89 gmc 1500 4x4 5.7L auto Ive been fixing up. My original intention was to fix it and resell it. Its a super clean truck for the age. 4wd works, a/c works, the carpet doesnt even have a stain in it. It had a topper and a bed mat its whole life. The bed floor has barely a scratch. I just rebuilt the trans and put a new exhaust on it from the headpipe back. Drove it awhile to make sure the trans was good to go. Drives nice, runs good. Started body work, got the cab corners and rockers in. Thats where i'm at now.

I have now been considering keeping it. I've thought about just getting another set of plow mounts for it and using it as my plow truck, and use my current truck as my backup. Ive thought about getting another complete plow setup so i have a whole backup truck. I also have been thinking about a service body. I can get an aluminum one pretty reasonable from a buddy of mine. I do a fair amount of tractor repairs for local farmers during the summer. Currently i'm working out of the truck toolbox and a service body would be a luxury. What would you guys do? Do i drop a little more in it? Or just stick to my original plan of reselling it? I'll only be into it for about half what its worth when its done so its either a little bit of a money maker, or it'd make a cheap second truck.

Thanks!

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

To me it would depend on finances and duty. If I had 35 commercial clients, I would be using a much newer truck with as low miles as possible and hopefully little down time. If I had a couple residential drives, I probably wouldnt be so concerned. My philosophy is that the condition and "newness" of the truck greatly enhances how customers and the public perceive the business. If the finances will allow a newer truck and thats what you want, go for it! It's your office, so make sure your in a truck youlike.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

ya i really dont have that many drives. Mostly family, a couple guys from work, and a neighbor. I'm not in this to make a career out of it. I maintain the heck out of my vehicles, so i really dont forsee an issue with the truck i already plow with, but it might be nice to have a backup. I dont know though. I guess my question is more on whether or not to keep it and throw a service body on it? I'm sure i sound pretty indecisive on it, but its just been a thought.

And yes i believe image is an important factor in running a sucessful plowing business. I know a newer truck looks better, but i run what i can afford. I do however take pride in what i drive and keep up on any rust that pokes through or damage that might happen. Just look at my pic. Plus this is the first time ive never had a vehicle payment and it is NICE! I'd like to keep it that way for a while!

4. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Let me tell you something, a 2 year old truck all beat to hell, dented, and scratched looks a lot worse than a ten or fifteen year old truck in showroom shape. We all run what we can afford, that's how it goes these days. Sounds to me like you already know what you want to do. Its a truck that you know and trust, run it. Put that service body on it and enjoy the small luxuries of life.

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I was hoping you would talk me out of it! lol Quit being so supportive! Seriously though thanks for you input!

6. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Well as you stated in the OP, you said that you do a fair amount of service work on the road in the summer. If you gain a fair amount of your income from this, a service body will benifit you in every way.