1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

KEEP IT or JUNK IT (trade it)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stillen, Dec 25, 2003.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Ok heres what I am pondering, first Merry x-mas to all.

I have a 95 3/4 ton light duty GMC extended cab short bed SLE. Truck has just hit 130,000 on the odometer. Truck is pretty much flawless except the engine "seems" a bit tired. So the question is, should I keep this or trade up? How many miles will this truck go before I'm pulling my personal belongings out of it whens it's ready for the bone yard? I change the oil religiously, I do pull two snowmobiles so the tranny is serviced every year, flush the radioator once a year, everything the truck deserves, theres no slip in the transfer case or tranny, I've never abused it, and to top it off the truck has been in the family since new, and I'm a stickler about maintenance. What you guys think?

:)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2003
  2. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

stillen,
    My Uncle has an 89 light 3/4 4x4 extended cab that has 230,000 plus miles on it and it is still going strong. Like you said the motor is starting to get tired, but the other things on the truck are still strong. I think if you do regular maintenance to it, it will go on and on. I believe if you traded it off you would loose more money then if you drove it till it quits. If the body is good like you said, then you cant beat keeping it around. Selling it you might get 5000-8000 estimated, depending on how much the person wants to pay. This is nothing compared to a paid for truck if it goes anouther three to four years. If I was you I would keep it and run it till it dies.
    Nacho

3. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

RUN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any major part replacement is still cheaper than a new truck payments. If you need a motor or transmission, GM have these with usually 3year/50,000 mile war.

4. GPB

GPB Member

Sounds like a good truck to me yet. We have a 94 chev heavy 3/4 ton thats done nothing but plow snow and pull bobcats since day one. Its now got 181000 on it and all we've replaced, other than regular maintenence items, is an alternator and an intake gasket. The motor is starting to show its age however. Dosent have the git up and go it once did, but still runs good.
    130000 isnt that many miles anymore. Seen alot of these trucks pushing 200000 and still going strong. You never know, your tranny could go out tomorrow, but if its been maintained as well as you say, it should have quite a few more miles left in her.

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Sounds to me like your trucks just getting broken in. Invest the necessary $ to keep it going. It sounds like most everything on it is in good shape. Put an engine in it if you need to, but it should still have a good number of miles left in it. I'm sure you will find its cheaper to keep her.

6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

My 2500 Silverado has over 240,000 miles so I am leaning toward "keep it". The 350 is original and has been a strong performer. However, what is the cost of missing one signifigant snowfall? I have other trucks so that is not my issue. If it is your only vehicle, I would consider new. The tax advantages of a newer truck are also something to consider with a tax professional. Good luck.

7. LawnzzzANDsnow

LawnzzzANDsnow Junior Member

Don't sound anything wrong to me,I will keep her on the road.

8. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

C'mon its a Chevy, with your serivce you should be able to get at least another,well alot more miles. I have 110,000 on my 2000 and she is still awesome. Keep good care of them and they will take care of you!:D

9. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Is this vehicle used for plowing?