1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keep 'em UP... Searched and did not find...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OffRoadPlow, Jan 3, 2003.

1. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong......

When going down the road, is it not a good idea to keep the blade up? I don't mean not to have it dragging, but up like over 6", I try to keep my blade to it max when going down the road so I don't get into what I saw today... Driving back from the route I see a p/u with what had to be an 8' blade is comming at me in the other direction when I notice that the blade is maybe 4" off the pavement, and yep, about 20' from me BAM! the corner catches and what looked to be a piece of blade goes shooting into the great unknown. I could see the truck traveling from about 1/2 a mile away, so I don't think his next site was anywhere near by. I just thought I would check to see if this was normal or if I was totally off for thinking that the blade should be raised a bit more for travel...

Thanks, This site ROCKS! Don't know what I ever did without it... More work around the house I think>

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

when i am traveling, i always keep my plow fully raised (aginst the stops), and angled right. this way its easier to see the left corner of the plow, and any obstructions in front of you. the reason i keep the blade fully raised against the stops is so if you hit a bump the plow does'nt go flying up and crashing down. saves you and the equipment from a beating. i could only imagine driving down the road with the blade low and hitting a manhole cover, or such at 30 mph. gotta hurt you and truck pretty bad.

3. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Now I have a question on this topic. I know it is obviously good to keep your plow up pretty high so that you do not hit anything on the pavement but if you raise it up most of the way,say like 1 1/2' off the ground, won't it block the air going into your radiator and your truck could overheat? What things do you guys do that allows to let the engine and transmission and allow everything to cool down. Angled right means that the right side of the plow is closer to the truck right? If so I agree that this is the best way to angle it because then you won't catch a curb eiher right:D

4. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

I normally keep my plow in the middle. Obviously you don't want it down or else it will scrape/break. all the way up blocks the lights and on our trucks cooling is a major concern. We have fabricated air ducts to bring cool air to our radiators. They help but you still can't drive long distances with the plow totally up in the air.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, the blade will cause air to flow up and over the radiator. The solution to that - angle the blade (right or left) and SLOW DOWN. Recommended speed with plow attached is 45 mph (look in your owner's manual).

My 3500 with 9' plow is 8" off the ground when angled. I have no problems with hitting pavement if I watch where I'm going.

6. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Get a V plow and you won't have to worry about it;) :D :drinkup:

7. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I keep my blade low and angled all the way to the right. The lowest part of my blade is mybe 6" from the ground. I haven't had any problem with it hitting anything just don't drive like a dope and don't go to fast. Anyway i'd rather have the plow hit something them overheat my engine or blow the trans.

8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

If you have a diesel, then raise it up to the sky ... diesels run more efficiently at higher temps.
    If you have a gasser, then you have to keep it lower and angled, otherwise you run a very good chance of overheating.

9. PPM

PPM Junior Member

The set up I have dose'nt matter what hight it's at as far as cooling the motor or tranny cooler (so my guages say) I ve always kept my western fully raised and angled to the left (sitting in the truck /) I find that to the left when I make right turns I can edge out a little more also I find that Id rather see the right side of the plow up higher it feels safer to me. I think it's a matter of feeling!! But hey it's just my thoughts!!

10. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Good to hear..

Just thought I would check,,, Thanks for all of the responce, I hear another good fix for overheating is raditor fan(s), next on my upgrade list. will let you know...

Thanks again!