1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

keep adjusting chain length?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Mr.Finch, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Mr.Finch

Mr.Finch Junior Member

I just started, son't have many driveways, but my own house has a steep skirt but the wrest of the drive is level. I have a problem where when I try backdraging, the rear wheels start going down the skirt of the drive, the plow raises and ends up leaving 1-2 inches. If I lengthen the chain when I pull up to the garage then then I don't have enough lift at the end of the drive to get the plow off the ground. I end up having to adjust the chain at the garage, and then again at the street until the drive is clear (about 3-4 passes).

Anyone have any suggestions, or is it just "nature of the business" and "live with it"
    I can't drop the account becouse it is my parents house, and they will start charging rent:eek:

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I tend to leave a few inches of my lift cylinder showing when sittinglevel with the plow on the ground. Never had much of a problem with height as it lets me lift it high enough to clear anything I need. As for your situation, I would set it just low enough to just touch the ground at the garage, and let it scrape some at the street. but my question is, how does your frame not hit?

Tom

3. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Nature of the beast if you ask me. I have my lift adjusted so i still have room under to clear obsticals and enough cylinder to drop to low spots. I only have 1 drive i do that's uphill and at the top it crests sharply on the left more that the right side of the driveway. No matter what i do i always leave some snow on that crested area.(about 6'x6') Thats what i carry a shovel for. The plow will leave about 1" +/- in that area and i just push it off with the shovel.Takes me 5 mins and makes the cust happy. I have adjusted the chain but it was too low and was not safe for traveling. Find a good point to hang the plow at and leave it alone. In my opnion your spending more time adjusting...push it off with a shovel and be done with it.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

This is my first Western ( chain lifted ) plow. This feature is a pain in the tail. The plow either doesn't lift high enough or drop low enough. I have a somewhat doable medium now but, my old sno-way was awesome. Lifted high and dropped low - just a shame their vee plow wasn't prime time.

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

put it in float

with my meyers I put the chain on the seventh link from the beginning. Then just make sure your plow is in float mode and it should take care of the problem. Float is the answer to all chain questions....

6. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

I have the same situation here Make SURE that you float the blade again as you start back down the slope You might find it makes the difference It did here
    Ray

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

( I didn't start the thread but...... ) Yup, know all about float mode. But, honestly such a huge difference in how the sno-way lifts/floats/drops than a chain.

8. Mr.Finch

Mr.Finch Junior Member

My plow is a meyer 7.5ft e-60. When I lower the blade I always make sure that its in float. I gues it's time to did the shovel back out (if I remember were I put it:D)
    As for the frame scraping, if you mean the truck frame, My truck is the only vehicle we have that can clear the drive no matter what speed or anything. My parents cars scrape some if they don't take it really slow, my sister's car front and rear bumpers always scrape no matter what (it's springs are pretty worn) that is why she alway parks in the street.
    IF you are talking about the A-frame, that is part of the problem, When the rear wheels start going down the steep skirt, then the truck pretty much pivots at the front axle, so anything infront of the axle get's raised.
    Thanks for your help, I mostly was wondering if there was some sort of modification, or special trick to it (other than that darn shovel:D

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

well have fun shoveling.

10. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

that must be one steeeeeeeep drive to have that issue. any pictures of that? my plow will drop out of sight it seems when i push past the edge of a culvert, and i catch it with the controls before it goes all the way down.