1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Keep accounts or get rid of them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordpsd, Sep 3, 2009.

1. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

Looking for a little insight here. Last season was the first year i started plowing and i do mostly sub work for a guy i know. I also had 30 residential accounts that my buddy took care of, all which had to be down with snowblowers because they are just to small to do with the plow. Now that he is away for college i am not sure whether to hire someone or give the accounts up. I do not have a second vehicle so the person i hire would have to provide their own transportation. Is it worth it to keep the small residential accounts or just get rid of them?

Also i am not sure if this is the correct place to post this so let me know if it should moved.

Thanks

2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

In this economy I would bet you could interview enough people to find a very responsible, over-qaulfied and under-employed person who owns a great snowblower and an SUV with big payments.

If there is enough margin to sub it to this person, then do it. Even if you don't make much for handling the paperwork, you'll have another year to decide what you want to do with the accounts.

Make sure you have "non-owned" vehicles covered on your insurance policy.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I just had someone inquire about employment that has there own 4 wheeler with plow. It happens.

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

can them. i mean honestly, how much are you actually making off of these driveways and do you really think you're going to make a lot if someone that you don't know is out there plowing them? i don't know man, too much risk. for all you know, that guy will end up stealing your clients anyways after year.

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Do what you can handle and sub the rest.

Make sure you have a contract with the sub to say he is a sub and not an employee. Also, make sure it mentions what they are responable for. i.e. when to plow, spring damage repair (sod), winter damage repair (mailboxes, garage doors, etc)

Good Luck

6. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

All the residential have to be down by shovel or snowblower. I could provide the snowblowers but that would make them my employee correct? If I found someone to do them with their own snowblower they would be a sub?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Who made you agree to doing the clearing with only shovel's and blowers? And why?

And how do you have confusion on what a "sub" is, when you were one last season?

A real sub-contractor is an insured business owner who owns and maintains all of his own equipment. This company will usually also have employees and or subs of their own as well.

I would keep the accounts if you made money subbing them out...that's an obvious.