1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki ATV servicing question?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mkwl, Feb 1, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Allright guys, I've got a question for you. I just bought a new 2006 Kawasaki 360 4x4 ATV w/winch and plow a few weeks ago. In my owners manual it said to change all the oils (engine and both gear cases/differentials), and oil filter after the first 10 hrs. I called my local dealer today, to ask how much they would charge for the initial servicing and they wanted about $250! They also said that it isn't good to change the gear case/differential oil:dizzy: . So my question is, how hard is it to do the initial servicing? Can I do it myself, or should I take it to them (for $250)? Also, what exactly do you guys recommend doing for the initial servicing? Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Anyone, I would really appreciate some responses.:salute:

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

The rear diff fluid is a special and you have to use that and ONLY that fluid. Every other fluid is straight up. Is 250 bucks exsisive, hell yes it is. Go to the dealer and buy your fluids and do it byourself.....Rob

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Where in north jersey are you?

I always did all my four wheeler maintenance myself. There are a few good non-dealer repair shops around though.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm in the Mahwah area. What did you do for your initial servicing?

Thanks,
    Matt

6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Just changed the oil, greases up the fittings, lubed the cables, cleaned and oiled the air filter. Do some searches online, there are a number of ATV message boards out there that can help you. If not get your hands on a manual for your ATV, it can prove to be most helpful when things break. Most of the maintenance on those things is pretty straight forward, but if you do use the quad a bit it might not hurt to have a trained tech look at it. Just to mkae sure the valves are set right, the belts are wearing ok, etc.

In the past I've dealt alot with Kawasaki Yamaha Sportcenter on Rt 23. Ledgewood Kawi is supposed to be really good to.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What do you use to lift the ATV up, so you can get to the drain plugs, and oil filter? Responses needed!

8. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

put a milk crate under th rear axle, or if you are small enough, shouldn't even need to lift it

9. RAM4x4HONDA

RAM4x4HONDA Junior Member
    from MA

Just change the tranny oil, make sure the tires are at the correct psi, look for unusual things, check the oil filter, and adjust w/e is necessary. A good site, that is very helpful is highlifter just add your www. and .com to it. message me if you need anything, Ive been working on my honda and arctic cat fourwheelers for a while, also rebuilding a vintage dirtbike.

10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

There is no tranny oil. It has a clutch much like what a snowmoble has. Make sure you change the motor oil often. And check both diff fluids. If it looks like a milkshake then you have water getting into it and thats real BAD. Have it fixed as soon as you see that. Learn how to check the deflection of the drive belt. Check this guys website, he prob knows more about Kawi atv's then anyone you will ever find. http://atv.dnsalias.com/ ......Rob

11. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd dot it myself but I'm surprised the dealer doesn't do it as part the sale. $250 is crazy!!!!

12. uniland

uniland Junior Member

go to midland park sears hardware and get the atv lift for 99.00