1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Karrier harness for Salt Dogg

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tuney443, Oct 20, 2010.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Did anyone try replacing the crappy Salt Dogg wiring harness with those Chinese connectors with an aftermarket Karrier harness on a poly 1500 or 2000 model?.If so,did you notice any kind of performance improvement from either the auger or spinner or both?

2. tuney443

Anybody? Someone must have run this.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Just call Bob at Karrier he is in Ohio I belive, he would give it to you straight.

Mike

4. tuney443

I have talked to him and his wife Holly on a few different occasions.I'm just looking for un-biased real life hands-on operating opinions.

5. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

How old is your salt dogg? Ive been having auger issues and I will probably have to replace the motor. See my other posts on here.

6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Did you get a price on a replacement harness? I'm looking to add one to my other truck so they can share the salter.

7. tuney443

1 yr. young-bought new last year.Unfortunately,Buyers outsources everything from China except the hopper ,which is made in the USA,they would like you to believe it's all from the USA as their little label suggests---but a big NO there.Not surprised at all about your having auger motor problems.I would call Bob Church at Karrier and see what he's got for you.I'm convinced that the basic setup of the all electric motors,auger delivery system,and poly hopper is the way to go,it's just it all has to be replaced with quality USA made componentry.

8. tuney443

Yes---$377

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Thx for the price quote. That sucks for you guys that bought them recently. Mine is about 2.5 seasons old. The last of the Mohegan... I think I'm safe. Just need to get some dummie metripack connectors as the cheap dust caps they supply are a joke.

10. tuney443

Nobody here runs the Karrier harness? Hard to believe.

11. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I have a unit that is about 5 seasons old with original wiring...I don't believe there is anything wrong with the wire used in the system, but the connectors are the weak point...

I will be replacing all the connectors this week...I will post pictures with I get it done...

12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I emailed bob today... i was all for saltdogg a few years ago when ours were all new... now i don't want to admit we own any :( next year going to a swenson all electric 10 foot mdv elec. 4.5 yard spreader, and will put boss 2 yarders on all new trucks.

13. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I was hoping to jump from tailgate spreaders to salt doggs next year. Are the new ones really that bad?

14. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

No they are pretty good ,I use about 6 yards per event and spreads good .for 3300$ you can't go wrong 2nd season and no problems