1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kansas city area average plows per season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MetroTurf, Nov 15, 2006.

1. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

I am reworking a couple of my bids and they are interested in paying by the season. I did one last year and figured an average of 5 plows per season and made awesome money when I only got the plow out once. My question is what would be a safe average number? The 5 plows seems like it could be low but the last couple of years I haven't done that much.
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

as far as the last ten years average........ 1/4" trigger 10 times; 2" trigger 5-6 times (one of the 6 plan on being a 12 incher every other year). our ave total is somewhere around 20 inches. this is only an experience guess.
  3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

You made awsome money because you ripped the customer off.

No offense.

Lets see what you do when you bid it at five and it snows fifteen times.

Not show up is my guess.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: :dizzy:

How do you figure he ripped anyone off.????
    That would be the way I would sell residential accounts too.

Some years you would be under the amount and make more, some years you would plow more, in the long run it evens out.

You buy auto Ins don't you??
    You pay each month?
    Do you file a claim every day?

Is the Ins company ripping you off?
  5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

1/4 in trigger ?????

who would have a 1/4" trigger ???
  6. LLM Ann Arbor

The insurance companies ripping us all off, and its law that you have to have insurance. Its illogical to buy a high seasonal contract when you dont get that many snowfalls on average but more power to you guys that can sell that snake oil.

I couldn't sleep at night knowing I took something for nothing and would offer some free basic courtesy services in the summer lawn program but thats me.

I certainly wouldn't be bragging about making awsome money when I never had to leave the house but once and charged people for five visits.

I dont and never will sell a seasonal contract unless the customer specifically asked for one and then Id explain the risks from their perspective and mine if it snowed little or a lot.

Ive made myself clear on this and some other things I find inherently wrong with this industry here on other threads.
  7. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

Ok this customer specifically asked for a seasonal price! We don't get alot of snow here like some of you do but we usually do average about 4 or 5 pushes a winter. My customer and I knew going into this that one of us could come out quite well on this deal. If it makes you feel any better when I talked to them a month ago about rebidding for this snow season they said what we did last winter worked just fine for them. You don't know me at all so don't accuse me of being the type of man that won't hold to my word and not show up if there isn't enough snow. That is the problem with sites like this is a holes like yourself that can't mind their own business. If you didn't know how many average snows there are in my area you should've just skipped on down to the next thread, or did you go there when you got done with mine and treat him like a kid too?
  8. LLM Ann Arbor

Oh relax. Maybe I was a bit over the top but this is near and dear to my heart.

Im sorry. Kiss me! I just broke up with sno farmer.

Like I said. If they aren't complaining and are fine with it, go for it.

9. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Ann Arbor and Snowfarmer you guys are the best to listen to keep the good stuff coming:nod: :drinkup:
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

We're here all week. Two shows a night and three on Saturday.

11. OPLawns

OPLawns Junior Member

Wait one minute...

1) First of all...this guy has an honest question for the KC area. If he bids this job low, he will lose big when it snows all winter. He will only profit if it snows less than the historical average. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TAKING A RISK LIKE THIS IN KANSAS/MISSOURI. It is part of the game!
    2) A safe way to neutralize the risk on the owner's part and your part is to offer salt/sand package...that way a mild but icy winter gets the same amount of care as a snowy winter.
    3) I agree with Jay Brown's data about past snows. Keep in mind that plowing around KC is not always that easy with the amount of ice that builds up.
    4) You really might want to stick to per push on a 1" or 2" trigger in our area if you can handle plowing all those accounts right when they are triggered.
    5) Those guys who where doggin' on you must be sitting on their plow control stick in the truck.
  12. BobC

BobC Senior Member

If it doesn't snow my payments for the equipment that I service the customer with continue. The bank doesn't give me any refunds for not working. The trailerload of salt had to be purchased and is not returnable. My liability insurance also doesn't give me a rebate for it not snowing. If its a fair price for the possible work then so be it
  13. Jay brown

one of the largest and most proftable snow plowing companys in the country is in Kansas City, the reason they are so big and profitable is because Kansas City has very little snow. since there isn't much snow, they don't have to pay out much to subs.
  14. Jay brown

we do. we have it on a shoppping mall and a big apt complex. we push them by the hour. works out good for us because we also do all of our walks too. 1/4" of snow here is probably like the north's 6 inches?? school is usually canceled here during a 2-3"snow.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006