1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kansas City anyone do liquids looking for a supplier

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kcplowman, Dec 13, 2009.

1. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Anyone do liquids in Kansas City or close to it. Im looking for mag and calcium chlorides. and don't know where to get it. And if anyone has any other liquids that work Im up for that too.

2. MRBILLS

MRBILLS Junior Member

how many gallons are you looking to get, if you looking for a truck load i can hook you up

3. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

How many gallons. I'm in Topeka, but I have a guy in KC and Clinton that can get you some. You should be able to get the Calcium Chloride at the Concrete Plant in KC.

4. flyweed

flyweed Junior Member

Just contact your local cement/ready mix concrete plant....they use both liquid Calcium Chloride and flake in cement to slow the curing process. That's where I get mine from.

Dan

5. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Not suer yet hom much I am gonna need yet. Im gonna try a just a 23.3 percent salt brine mix for my first attempt maby a 90/10 with calcium chloride but I wanna try it out at first before I start buying expensive product. I would guess probably several hundred gallons if I like it.

6. U1200

U1200 Member

Now we just need some weather to try it out on! This drought sucks!

7. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I can get you 250gallons and I don't think anyone around this area will sell less than that. Its in a 250 gal plastic tote

8. purpleranger519

from Kansas

What drought???? You guys havent got any snow yet?

9. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

Give us a ring we have distributors over that way.

Mike

10. U1200

U1200 Member

We sure didn't get what Topeka got. Story of our life here is either the storm tracked north through St. Joe or to the west.

We had two little ones back to back that made things interesting. It was fairly warm and we burned the first round off with salt. The weather service said it was done then another band north of I-70 was going to hit. I was south of 70 and got hit with a surprise 1" and the temp dropped drastically. We had to do some plowing especially on our decks and get into our treated salt to get it cleared by morning. Still not enough to get the mog out lol!

How much did you end up with in Topeka? I hope these Friday and Monday snows amount to something.

11. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Manhattan Area Kansas

I would like some prices on a tote of both calcium and mag if possible. I can come pick it up from either KC or Topeka. I called all the area concrete plants and they have it but acted like I was asking for Uranium 231.

12. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Last storm it snowed twice within a 3 day period and we had like 10" total. (2.5" the 1st time then just over 7" the second one) 9 degrees with 45mph wind gusts. It wasnt fun.
    We got a little on the first storm of the year that buried the folks just to the north of us with 18" back in Nov. I think we had just over 2" out of it, enough to plow.
    I think they are calling for a real big storm to roll in just after christmas or maybe it was christmas day.

13. purpleranger519

from Kansas

KAG, where are you located? I clicked your link and saw you guys do hydroseeding. I sub'd that out this last year and had a tough time finding guys who wanted to do it around here.
    I have Calcium Chloride and I have a little extra, not alot. If chloride guy can't help you, I'd let a tote go and sell it to you, but I'd prefer to be the last option. I'll get the phone number of my guy in KC that can get you mag. I bet if you call him first you won't need to call anyone else. He has Cal too. I PM it to you when I get to the shop in the morning.

14. U1200

U1200 Member

That's it I'm going to Topeka or St. Joe next snow! It's been years since I've seen 7" worth. I just really want to see how this new truck and 11' plow will work in a real amount of snow. That freak snow we had last last march was the best one I've seen over here in a while. Half the subs either broke down from the wet/heavy snow or didn't show so I stayed pretty busy.

15. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes we do hydroseeding and go all over the place to do it. I have 2 machines one of which I want to turn into a brine generator/liquid de-icer. Since I posted I sourced liqud calcium near by and now have 5 tons of salt in the shop on pallets. Mag would be something I am interested in though. Once I get this brine generation thing sorted out with my spare hydroseeder I plan on storing it in empty totes I picked up yesterday.

We got quite a bit of snow over here from that last storm. Would love to see more just like it, except for the high winds.